Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

SS dog tags

Article about: Hello I picked these up 8 months ago. I was wondering what unit they belonged to? Thanks Curt

?

Default SS dog tags

Hello I picked these up 8 months ago. I was wondering what unit they belonged to?

Thanks
    Curt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS dog tags   SS dog tags  

SS dog tags  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS dog tags
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: SS dog tags

Well it's supposed to be SS-Totenkopf-Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon II, but unfortunately I can't say it's real- myself, I don't like the look of it to be honest. Unfortunately there were three SS-TJE BTL, and I have images of original discs from I and III, and they're very different from one another- suggesting II was unique as well; but without a certain example from the II. Bataillon, we have no way of knowing if this is right or not. Overall, from years and years of studying these things, it just doesn't look right to me but that's hardly definitive LOL At first I thought the blood group appearing to be backwards- BA instead of AB- was a sign, but it's acutally the case that the letters were stamped in the right order, just upside down- you can see they're done the same way on both sides, so it was just a case of the stamper not paying attention. I can't say I've ever seen this on a real disc, but then AB is a rare blood type, and it's not an impossible error.

Too bad it was 8 months ago that you bought it- I'd have suggested staying away unless it was really, really cheap...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Matt, I accidentally have one I dug personaly in leather pouch, along with rank tabs and Radom pistol in holster... Could this example help? ;-)
    I know it is in bad shape, but it is (as I believe) caused by chemicals contained in leather...

SS dog tagsSS dog tags
    Last edited by Jan S; 10-02-2012 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Missing pictures

?

Oh and if it helps I can make pics of each single letter/number by USB microscope...

Jan

?

Oops, just under the microscope I noticed this is Btl.I. not II., I am sorry.

Jan

?

Yup, no worries though- it shows everyone the very distinctive 'B' the I. Bataillon had on its discs. The III. Bataillon used a single professionally-made stamp, which is very nice-looking, so it's very hard to say what the II. Batallion would have done. But they do both abbreviate 'Bataillon' as 'Btl.' not 'Batl.'- another possible oddity of the disc in question; not wrong exactly, but seemingly inconsistent.

?

Matt, do you mean these? ;-)

Attachment 405902Attachment 405903
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS dog tags  
    Attached Images Attached Images SS dog tags 

?

Yup, notice how the two loops of the 'B' are completely separate- as if a little child had written the letter LOL It's the only time I've ever seen a 'B' made that way.