Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Erkennungsmarke

Article about: My latest SS addition, its double stamped and therefore a rejected tag Nick

Default SS Erkennungsmarke

My latest SS addition, its double stamped and therefore a rejected tag

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Erkennungsmarke   SS Erkennungsmarke  

SS Erkennungsmarke  
    Last edited by Woolgar; 04-27-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Erkennungsmarke
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: SS Erkennungsmarke

Nice Estonian tag Nick !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks Paul yes a nice piece of Estonian history

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

What makes you think it was rejected? If the number were wrong, why bother to correct it if it's just to be rejected? The unit was only created on 1.11.43 and renamed on 15.4.45 so it only existed for 17 months- it doesn't necessarily seem unreasonable to believe they trained less than 1800 men in so short a time- perhaps the disc might simply be unissued stock as it appears to be...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Quote by Matt L View Post
    What makes you think it was rejected? If the number were wrong, why bother to correct it if it's just to be rejected? The unit was only created on 1.11.43 and renamed on 15.4.45 so it only existed for 17 months- it doesn't necessarily seem unreasonable to believe they trained less than 1800 men in so short a time- perhaps the disc might simply be unissued stock as it appears to be...
    Good point Matt and thank you for that info

Nick

?

Where did you get it Nick ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

This kind of thing isn't all that uncommon- I've seen lots of discs with 'corrections' of their Stammrollennummern. After stamping discs for hours and hours, it's easy to see how someone might make a mistake, especially on these ones where only the numbers are being put on- it'd be a waste to discard one that's wrong when it's not too difficult to fix the error. With all the space available, were it really an issue, one could cross out the mistake and just re-do the number; but since they're just over-stamped the incorrect digits, it would seem that was considered quite sufficient.

Being unissued makes the disc rather less valuable and interesting, sure, but it's definitely better than a reject
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Where did you get it Nick ?
    Espenlaub in Estonia They have another for sale too same regiment

Nick

Nick

?

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    Espenlaub in Estonia They have another for sale too same regiment

Nick

Nick
    Thought it was from the Espenlaub boys does Aleks not know where it was found exactly ? This was the Training and replacement unit for the Estonian SS Divison which was based at Klooga outside Tallinn when it was moved to Estonia , we have found quite a few of them on the Narva front !!

1st July 1916

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Thought it was from the Espenlaub boys does Aleks not know where it was found exactly ? This was the Training and replacement unit for the Estonian SS Divison which was based at Klooga outside Tallinn when it was moved to Estonia , we have found quite a few of them on the Narva front !!
    Aleks says it was found in said training camp Paul

Nick