Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Gebirgsjäger Ausbildungs und Ersatz Bataillon 6

Article about: Hi guys, got this one in a trade recently and wanted to share with you. I am trying to find more about the unit. Was this a unit to supply the Nord division?

Default SS Gebirgsjäger Ausbildungs und Ersatz Bataillon 6

Hi guys, got this one in a trade recently and wanted to share with you.
    I am trying to find more about the unit. Was this a unit to supply the Nord division?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Gebirgsjäger Ausbildungs und Ersatz Bataillon 6   SS Gebirgsjäger Ausbildungs und Ersatz Bataillon 6  

Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Gebirgsjäger Ausbildungs und Ersatz Bataillon 6
    P
    Many

I believe it was. What is the provenance with this example? I note it bears quite some difference to my example from the same unit (excavated by our resident Karelia digger Maxim).

SS Gebirgsjäger Ausbildungs und Ersatz Bataillon 6 SS Gebirgsjäger Ausbildungs und Ersatz Bataillon 6

?

I hope the provenance is solid because I don't like the look of that one either- the font is very much like the usual bad type with what I've started to refer to as having 'racetrack' letters (O, G, C, etc.) that have straight sides, and a short curve at either end. I just compared the 'G' of yours to that of a common fake and it's only very slightly wider- that is a fraction of a millimetre:

SS Gebirgsjäger Ausbildungs und Ersatz Bataillon 6

To me that tiny difference would indicate it wasn't the exact same stamp set, but one just it- i.e., modern.

That simple sans-serif font with racetrack letters should always, always send up big red flags since it's so common.

Notice too there's no Umlaut over the 'A' in 'JAG'; this isn't unheard-of, but it's a mistake to be sure. Along with a suspect font, it's worrisome. And the known original has the abbreviation for Bataillon as 'BATL.', while the disc in question has 'BTL.' - again changes like that aren't unheard-of, since it's roll number is rather higher, it's later in time, but several with other issues, it's potentially a problem.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.
    No provenance other than it came from the same digger that all my discs have come from and were found in various areas of Czech Republic. I have double checked on him with another forum member from Czech and he confirmed that he is an honest guy and top digger that has found amazing relics among of which are 3 SS Totenkopf Ehrenringe. I have posted almost all of the rest ERKs and they have been given the thumps up, so i don't have a reason to doubt this one. The problem is that he doesn't remember if he found this one by himself or if he traded it with another digger as trades are very common between diggers.

The "G" is certainly looking like the known fake but is not identical. I have another one from "Falke" regiment that also has a similar "G" but a bit larger than this one. I will post pictures when i get on my pc since i am currently using a tablet.

Btw Glenn what is the material of your example? Looks like zinc?
    Mine is made of steel.

I'm pretty sure its steel, i'll run a magnet over it tomorrow and let you know.

?

But there is reason to doubt this one- just what I posted.

The fact that it came from a trustworthy source at best would mean he's telling the truth that he dug it up- but that doesn't prove it's real; and if he can't even remember that he did find it himself, well, that makes the whole source argument invalid. I've heard stories for years of fakers 'seeding' locations they know honest diggers will search so they can say they really did dig something up, and thus people believe it's real. I don't know of proof of that but it's certainly possible.

That's why the source isn't a primary piece of evidence- it's support. The disc has to stand on its own, and this one just doesn't I'm afraid.

I honestly can't think of any instance where I've seen that form of font on a real disc were there weren't other elements that suggested it was real. This one is the opposite- and is one I'd have recommended you avoid if you'd asked before acquiring it...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Quote by Matt L View Post
    I've heard stories for years of fakers 'seeding' locations they know honest diggers will search so they can say they really did dig something up, and thus people believe it's real. I don't know of proof of that but it's certainly possible.
    Jesus i never have thought of this scenario. Just imagine that. If they started doing things like that it will destroy the hobby. Who would buy relics anymore.

Here are some more photos. I can return the tag and get another one anytime.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Gebirgsjäger Ausbildungs und Ersatz Bataillon 6   SS Gebirgsjäger Ausbildungs und Ersatz Bataillon 6  

SS Gebirgsjäger Ausbildungs und Ersatz Bataillon 6   SS Gebirgsjäger Ausbildungs und Ersatz Bataillon 6  

And here is the "Falke" ERK with similar but larger "G".

SS Gebirgsjäger Ausbildungs und Ersatz Bataillon 6   SS Gebirgsjäger Ausbildungs und Ersatz Bataillon 6  

Btw Matt, although the "G"s are not the same in size and details, you feel it's still modern because of the "racetrack" shape right?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Gebirgsjäger Ausbildungs und Ersatz Bataillon 6  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast