Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Ss identity disc , totenkopf division , russia

Article about: I would appreciate any comments on this id tag i picked up in st petersburg . As you can see an attempt to cross out has been made....

Default Ss identity disc , totenkopf division , russia

I would appreciate any comments on this id tag i picked up in st petersburg . As you can see an attempt to cross out has been made....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ss identity disc , totenkopf division , russia   Ss identity disc , totenkopf division , russia  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ss identity disc , totenkopf division , russia
    P
    Many

I bet he was hoping his Russian captors wouldn't notice that little faux pas wasn't he Rob.....???
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

It's an interesting disc Rob- the only others I've ever seen with markings crossed out had new ones on the other side. This one doesn't really make any sense to me- it clearly wasn't done to obscure the text (or whomever did it was really inept LOL), but there's no indication just why anyone would bother striking it out. And to use a weirdly wavy punch suggests it was just whatever was to hand- others I've seen have been a punch seemingly intended to completely obscure text- they're like a tenderizing mallet with rows of little points to really block something out.

The font is interesting- the really narrow lower-case letters are very similar to a known fake type, but there are two few comparitors and nothing is so unique as to be able to match them properly. That upper-case K is very distinct, but isn't among the bad ones. The age looks legitimate or at least not fake. But that's about all I can say.

Unfortunately, probably the only way to know is to find a demonstrably authentic example from the 6. Kompanie, 10. SS. T. Rgt and see if they match.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...