Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

St. Kp. Pi. Br. E. u. A. Btl. 3 with Soldbuch

Article about: Hello everyone: After searching in many places, I bought it I am very happy to have a Erkennungsmarke with Soldbuch, the same soldier. Finally, I can put a face to a soldier carrying this Er

Default St. Kp. Pi. Br. E. u. A. Btl. 3 with Soldbuch

Hello everyone:
    After searching in many places, I bought it
    I am very happy to have a Erkennungsmarke with Soldbuch, the same soldier. Finally, I can put a face to a soldier carrying this Erkennungsmarke
    The soldier's name was Ernst Kaltwasser. He was Pionier Brücken of Battalion 3 (Bridge Engineer Contruccion). He was a prisoner of war in France. Also within the Soldbuch, there are papers of Prisoner
    The Erkennungsmarke means:StammKompanie Pionier Brücken Ersatz und Ausbildungs Bataillon 3
    Greetings
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture St. Kp. Pi. Br. E. u. A. Btl. 3 with Soldbuch   St. Kp. Pi. Br. E. u. A. Btl. 3 with Soldbuch  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement St. Kp. Pi. Br. E. u. A. Btl. 3 with Soldbuch
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: St. Kp. Pi. Br. E. u. A. Btl. 3 with Soldbuch

javimetal, one remark concerning naming of this battalion. The right one is: 3rd bridge construction engineer combined replacement and training battalion.
    Last edited by Stacez; 09-18-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Thank you for completing the translation of the Battalion, Stacez

?

No offense Stacez but where is the word 'combined' in Pionier-Brücken-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 3? That's just Bridging Engineer Replacement and Training Battalion 3 (Bridge Construction Engineer- etc.- is perfectly correct as well). The 'and' makes it obvious the unit does both so 'combined' is redundant and if anything a transliteration- so not an actual part of the title in a formal sense. One could put it in parentheses but it's not ever included in any translation of 'E. u. A.' I've ever seen nor is it there in the original German. The unit description says, as it does for virtually all units that end up as this type that it was originally just 'Ersatz', was split into separate 'Ersatz' and 'Ausbildungs', and then combined again into 'Ersatz- und Ausbildungs', however 'combined' is not part of the unit title.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Hey Matt,
    You're right - there is no word "combined" between and "and" makes it obvious. However, I used an official translation of such unit found in document made by US Military Intelligence Division (dated April 1944). Normally, I would also translate it without "combined".
    See quotation below:
    Designations of corresponding training units:
    Pionier-Briicken-Ausbildungs-Bataillon (Pi.Brilcken-Ausb.Btl.) - bridge construction engineer training battalion.
    Pionier-Briicken-Ersatz-und -Ausbildungs-Bataillon (Pi.Briicken-Ers.u.Ausb.Btl.) - bridge construction engineer combined replacement and training battalion.
    Believe me, I was also a little bit surprised seeing such translation but maybe Intel guys knew it better...