Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Stalag 344

Article about: Gentleman, I have this "dog tag" in my collection. "Hoidal" says that it's a Wilna Stalag dog tag, but I doub that I think it's a kind of a key hanger or something like t

Default Re: Stalag 344

All those (around 40) tags were found in one place.
    At this place during the war there was the Wachbataillon and cancellary.
    That's the reason why I believe that those tags had nothing to do with the POW's.
    I do have several keyhangers and Werkmarken from that place and those are the regular type:

Stalag 344

So in my opinion there's only one option left right here: the dogs.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stalag 344
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Stalag 344

Yeah, it's certainly reasonable they weren't for the POWs themselves, and clearly they're something different about them than these general tags- something that was specifically Stalag 344's- however at best that might leave dogs as one possibility; I don't see how it'd be more or less-likely than any other possibility since there's no evidence for it at all- there's just a lack of any better identification. Nothing's been ruled out so dogs can't be the only possibility left, right? And it would require the further fact that tags were recovered from the dogs since, as I suggested, number 7 would surely be issued, and dumped with the stock. Unless all 150 discs (assuming 150 is the highest number) were together, there's no evidence of an organized gathering of tags for disposal, which would be necessary to support dogs- they'd be in a kennel, the unissued tags in an office I should think.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2