Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Stalag IA

Article about: Looking for some help on the tags from this camp please. I have a selection of tags but they do not seem to follow the standard layout. Some of the tags have the letters FZ after the prisone

Default Stalag IA

Looking for some help on the tags from this camp please. I have a selection of tags but they do not seem to follow the standard layout. Some of the tags have the letters FZ after the prisoner number, and some have JT. Some tags are cancelled with stamping the letter N and M. On the back of the canceled tags is a number and the letters JT. I have a number of tags like that. I was told the FZ is to indicate a French prisoner, but what about JT or EB. The bottom right tag of the block of 4 is stainless steel.

I have also included a Oflag 68 tag where the Number ends with the letter R.

Stalag IA

Stalag IA

Stalag IA

Stalag IA

Thank you Paul.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stalag IA
    P
    Many

Sorry to bring this to the front of the queue again, but a very good friend of mine in Germany who is a great one for research. He has come up with a theory which I would like to know if anyone has tags which bear this out. Below is his answer to me.

You are right, sometimes in Germany for single capital letters it's used "J" instead of "I" to avoid mixing it up with "l" (<- not obvious to recognise, "small L"). In this case they probably chose "J" to not mix it up with "Roman 1".
    Also I'm quite sure, if the basis-theory is correct at all, that "FZ" stands for "French". In this case the shortcut represents not the country France -> Frankreich, but the nationality French -> FranZösisch. This could be an explanation.

So Belgian -> Belgisch could be "B", "BE" or "BG"
    Russian -> Russisch maybe "R", "RU" or even "RS"
    Polish -> Polnisch might be "P", "PO" or "PN"
    and for the British I'm quite sure they would rather have used "E", "EN" or "EG" (Englisch), since at that time Great Britain in Germany in the political and propaganda speech in Germany wasn't that present, but instead they used "England" when they talked about Great Britain.

Thanks again paul

Edit.... JT= Italian

?

I think you might be on to something. The only one I knew was the JT for Italian because I had a Stalag ekm with JT on it. So in my opinion your friend might be thinking in the right direction.

Yes Paul, I think you have basically answered your own question!

Dschop.... can you remember from which camp?.....paul

?

I will have to look through my photos later today. You will here from me.

?

Well Paul, like I said I had to look it up, but here it is. This is the one I was talking about, it is also from Stalag IA/EB.

Stalag IA

?

Here are a couple more from IA
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalag IA   Stalag IA  

Stalag IA   Stalag IA  

?

Some stuff from camp !A and other ones from east prussiaStalag IAStalag IAStalag IAStalag IA