Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Stamm. Komp. G.E.B. 7

Article about: I found this item in my grandfather's desk and was told it is a WWII German dog tag. I assume that the information on the disc includes a unit, soldier ID number and possibly blood type. My

Shellie
    ?

Default Dog Tag Stamm. Komp. G.E.B. 7

I found this item in my grandfather's desk and was told it is a WWII German dog tag. I assume that the information on the disc includes a unit, soldier ID number and possibly blood type.

My grandfather was not in the military. He owned a tavern in the 1940's and many soldiers came by the tavern while they were on leave and visiting home. I assume that is how he ended up with this tag. My grandfather is deceased and no one in the family recalls who gave this tag to him.

I have no idea if this is real or fake. If it is real, I am curious about the soldier it belonged to. Is there enough information on this tag to identify the owner?

Also, I would like to know where I can learn more about the unit stamped on the tag.

Thank You

Stamm. Komp. G.E.B. 7
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stamm. Komp. G.E.B. 7  
    Last edited by Shellie; 02-23-2010 at 03:48 AM.

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: Stamm. Komp. G.E.B. 7

Hi Shellie,

That's certainly real and it's actually quite a nice example of a regular infantryman's identity disc; the marking stands for:

Stammkompanie-Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 7

or 'Root' Company, Greandier Replacement Battalion 7

9214 was his roster number, and B his blood group; the Rh factor was only discovered in 1940, but it seems was never commonly tested for during the war.

Because it's 'Grenadier', instead of 'Infanterie', we know the soldier to whom the disc belonged entered the military after 7. November 1942, when the designation change was made. From late 1942 on G.E.B. 7 was stationed in Schweidnitz. It nominally provided replacement troops to:

Grenadier-Regimenter: 7; 461; 472; 526 (I.); 677; 728 (I.); 1066

Of course troops were actually sent where they were needed so he could have gone to any Grenadier-Regiment in truth. Of course service records are still personal information so are protected by privacy laws so there's no way to learn just who once owned the disc.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...