Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Very interesting Latvian SS legionaire dog tag - Original/Fake?

Article about: Hello folks What do you think about this dog tag? Original or fake? Thank you

Default Very interesting Latvian SS legionnaire dog tag - Original/Fake?

Hello folks
    What do you think about this dog tag? Original or fake? Thank you
    Very interesting Latvian SS legionaire dog tag - Original/Fake?Very interesting Latvian SS legionaire dog tag - Original/Fake?
    Last edited by Triggerself; 04-16-2015 at 11:17 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Very interesting Latvian SS legionaire dog tag - Original/Fake?
    P
    Many

IMHO it is bad.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    IMHO it is bad.
    C'mon you can't just call it fake and drop it. Cite the basis for your opinion. If it is a hunch say say, if there are obvious indications please point them out.

Quote by Triggerself View Post
    C'mon you can't just call it fake and drop it. Cite the basis for your opinion. If it is a hunch say say, if there are obvious indications please point them out.
    Ok. The tag appears to be to the 5th kompanie, SS Grenadier Rgt 34. I think the unit was known as SS Gren Regt from 1943 to mid 1944. But I don't think it had a 5th Kompanie at that time.

If this DID belong to the 5th Kompanie then it would be marked Waffen-Grenadier Regiment 34, which came into existence in November 1944.

It's only my opinion and I'd be pleased to see what others say.

?

I have done a bit of research and this is what I come up with.

In May 1944 the 34th SS Freiwilligen Regiment (Lettische Nr. 5) had 14 Companies it was destroyed in July 1944 and reformed as the 34th Waffen SS Grenadier Regiment (Lettische Nr. 5) in September of 1944. With 3 battalions of infantry in the regiment, presumably that would include at least 5 companies. I would say the disk is accurately stamped at least.

Cheers!