Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Very rough shape ID disc

Article about: I bought my first ID tag recently for a whopping \\$13, and it's in pretty rough shape. I spent some time lightly cleaning it with just a paintbrush and water to see if I could uncover anythin

Thank you so much for the help! Now that you mention it could be Ers., I think I do see an "S" in the picture but will have to examine it closer when I get home. That makes sense now if so.

Therefore it should read: 3/Pz. Ers. u. Ausb Abt. (unknown unit)?

So this soldier was in Company 3 of an unknown panzer replacement unit. My understanding is he would've been a replacement soldier to replenish units who lost soldiers, is that right?

And this dates the tag to mid/late war given the renaming?

Very rough shape ID disc

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Very rough shape ID disc
    P
    Many

Panzer Ersatz und Ausbildungs Abt were training and Replacement units and these in turn supplied replacements to whichever Armoured units they supported. Obviously it is difficult to date the ekm without knowing the unit but if you look at some of the units in the link I posted previously you can see when they were renamed from Ersatz Abt to Ersatz und Ausbildungs Abt. The artwork you produced is a nice touch btw.
    Last edited by BlackCat1982; 04-03-2019 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Typo

Looks like the dog tag is made of low quality aluminum so I suppose it's late war. You can try soaking the dog tag in dilute citric acid and checking on it every 2min while brushing it with a toothbrush to see if any letters come out.

Thank you guys again. I took another look at the tag today and there is indeed an "s" there, indicating Ersatz. I would say you are right about it being aluminum. I tried cleaning just a bit more in some targeted areas but couldn't uncover anything without causing more damage. However, I am more than satisfied with the information that's been revealed so far. I need to get this in some sort of display case, as every time I touch it more stuff comes off.

You all have been a huge help, and I hope I get to try this again some day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12