Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

VW police disk

Article about: I need feedback on this disk, I like it but the backward "J" makes me nervous, I have seen this on a few different disks and in different font styles. Did the Germans use this char

?

Default VW police disk

I need feedback on this disk, I like it but the backward "J" makes me nervous, I have seen this on a few different disks and in different font styles. Did the Germans use this character during the war? I don't understand why they would have a backward J stamp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture VW police disk  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement VW police disk
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Eike41 View Post
    I need feedback on this disk, I like it but the backward "J" makes me nervous, I have seen this on a few different disks and in different font styles. Did the Germans use this character during the war? I don't understand why they would have a backward J stamp.
    Could the 'backwards' 'J' have been used in lieu of a 'L' maybe.....

Scout is correct. In this case, the J is being used as an L...Polizei Verwaltung Wien...Police Administration Vienna...I cannot comment on authenticity, however...not my field of collecting.
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 10-17-2013 at 07:47 PM.

And how would one stamp the J backwards??

Tom

?

I understand that it is being used as an "L" but why would there be a backwards "J" in a stamp set?

- - ------- - -

It appears that they have an upper and lower case version... and no "L"

?

Maybe their 'L' just plain looks like that.

?

Exactly- it's just the style of font. Occasionally you see rather stylized ones like this. Notice that the 'i' in 'Wien' also has a curved bottom- consistent with the 'l'. Anyway it looks like a full text stamp- note how straight and even everything is- so there probably aren't separate letters anyway. I don't see anything suspicious about this one- the unique font actually makes it seem more likely to be real since it's memorable and since fakers never make just one unit with a stamp set, it'd surely be a known font if it were fake.

Tom's right too- you can't use stamps 'backwards', only inverted. As a matter of interest, one does sometimes see other letters used for presumably missing stamps- and often they're not even modified to try to make them look like the letter they're trying to indicate. I've seen a 'c' used in place of an 'e', for example, and the stamper didn't even try to put a little horizontal line in to really create an 'e' because the abbreviation was still obvious even with a substitution.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

no doubts, it's original
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Super info guys thanks a lot!!!