Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Waffen ss hohenstaufen

Article about: by Paul E Matt i'm only expressing my opinion , to me it looks like the stamps are relatively new on the disc and there appears to be some halo to the 4 , personally i go the other way now a

ado
    ?

Default Waffen ss hohenstaufen

WAFFEN SS HOHENSTAUFEN, looks good to me what everyone else thinks?

Thanks
    ado
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waffen ss hohenstaufen  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen ss hohenstaufen
    P
    Many

Default Re: Waffen ss hohenstaufen

Blank on reverse side? William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Sorry Ado, this is bad.

The way it is written is nonsense.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

No company number, just a general divisional tag? I don't think so.

?

Clearly modern stampings onto an older tag and the designation of the unit has been done by someone with no knowledge of how this was done on originals , luckily !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Sorry- just what about the disc makes it look like an old blank more recently stamped Paul? There's no 'halo' effect or any other feature that I'm familiar with on such fakes. I've seen one other that's very different in its corrosion pattern and it too has no signs of stamping after corroding.

And why is the unit wrong- was it not SS-Panzergrenadier-Division ,,Hohenstaufen'' prior to October 1943 as my references say? Yes, it was the 9. Division, but numbers are not usually included on the Erkennungsmarken of named units- just the name is; that's one way to spot a fake actually- a number and name. If you mean the fact it's a Division-level disc not the usual Kompanie/Regiment one that's true, but the 5-digit Stammrollennummer does fit with that- a faker would have to have had the presence of mind to realize it'd have to be that way despite virtually every other unit being quite different; and fakers aren't usually so bright LOL Why make a very atypical disc when it'd potentially seem suspicious?

I see the single stamp for the whole text, its intricacy, and specific style as looking quite period myself and not at all what one would normally see on a fake. Really to me nothing's terribly out of place- it's atypical, but the features fit. I've even seen a variant that is made of individual letters, but it too is curved and a mix of upper and lower case letters of the exact same text- and it too has nothing that looks amiss. It's odd, granted, but I have trouble seeing a faker going to the trouble and expense to have a very special, very high-quality stamp made since it's so atypical.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Sorry- just what about the disc makes it look like an old blank more recently stamped Paul? There's no 'halo' effect or any other feature that I'm familiar with on such fakes. I've seen one other that's very different in its corrosion pattern and it too has no signs of stamping after corroding.

And why is the unit wrong- was it not SS-Panzergrenadier-Division ,,Hohenstaufen'' prior to October 1943 as my references say? Yes, it was the 9. Division, but numbers are not usually included on the Erkennungsmarken of named units- just the name is; that's one way to spot a fake actually- a number and name. If you mean the fact it's a Division-level disc not the usual Kompanie/Regiment one that's true, but the 5-digit Stammrollennummer does fit with that- a faker would have to have had the presence of mind to realize it'd have to be that way despite virtually every other unit being quite different; and fakers aren't usually so bright LOL Why make a very atypical disc when it'd potentially seem suspicious?

I see the single stamp for the whole text, its intricacy, and specific style as looking quite period myself and not at all what one would normally see on a fake. Really to me nothing's terribly out of place- it's atypical, but the features fit. I've even seen a variant that is made of individual letters, but it too is curved and a mix of upper and lower case letters of the exact same text- and it too has nothing that looks amiss. It's odd, granted, but I have trouble seeing a faker going to the trouble and expense to have a very special, very high-quality stamp made since it's so atypical.
    Matt i'm only expressing my opinion , to me it looks like the stamps are relatively new on the disc and there appears to be some halo to the 4 , personally i go the other way now as due to the price that is being demanded for SS Tags the fakers have got cleverer and are willing to invest more in the correct stamps / fonts etc , unfortunately the books available now show them correct designations , i do concede that Hohenstaufen was a Pz Gren Div i failed to spot that in my look at Lexicon !! but the high number i beleived was not correct etc , .

The real question is would you buy it yourself for me the answer would be no , but that is only my opinion , if you have examples please post them so we can compare,

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Are the quotation marks in ,,Hohenstaufen'' correct? Should it not be "Hohenstaufen"?

?

IMHO is original tag, I have seen round typing on the tags. IMO it is a difficult to make such a nice fake
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Are the quotation marks in ,,Hohenstaufen'' correct? Should it not be "Hohenstaufen"?
    Popular way of writing the quotation marks on the continent Mo. I know that over here most write them in that style nowadays anyway. Be interesting to see some period examples though...

Regards,

Carl

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast