Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

waffen SS ID tag???

Article about: An friend got this one.. who knows it is real?. .

Default waffen SS ID tag???

An friend got this one.. who knows it is real?.

.waffen SS ID tag???waffen SS ID tag???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement waffen SS ID tag???
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: waffen SS ID tag???

I don't think so DE- see the light 'halo' around most of the letters and numbers? That's a sign the patina was already present when the disc was marked- i.e. it could be an original blank that was stamped more recently. The text is also a bit odd- there's no Kompanie number; it's not unheard-of, but normally a major unit type, like an Abteilung, won't have a single roll but rather each of its Kompanien would. You should advise your friend to return it if he can- and that SS identity discs are a real hazard- 99% are fakes; one should never, ever buy one without advice first.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

The 'halo' is enough, but I've just confirmed that the letters are a known fake type too; here's another example made with them:

waffen SS ID tag???

and I've cropped a couple of the same letters and a number and placed them beside those on your friend's disc so you can see they're identical (I've copied and reduced your photo a little to match the scale):

waffen SS ID tag???

It's a very useful truth that virtually no two real Erkennungsmarken had the exact same lettering- even different Kompanien in the same Regiment, for example, ususally had at least slightly different stamps- often quite different. There were no standard sets. Therefore if one see the exact same lettering on two discs from different units, it's a sign they're fakes. Fakers usually have one or two sets of stamps and make all kinds of different units. So this plus the 'halo' and the odd marking means the disc your friend bought is 100% fake, unfortunately.

Nice work Matt!

?

Thanks- this illustrates why it's immeasurably useful to collect images of fakes so one can compare any time an example comes up that's of uncertain authenticity. Sadly there are lots of images out there...

Thank you so much Matt!!.. i will remember what you say when i want to buy one!!.. Thnx!!!

Thank you for that education Matt !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Sure thing fellas- I'm always glad to help