Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

what unit is this tag for?

Article about: Hi Guys, I collect mainly field equipment but have had a lone tag for many years and don't know anything about it and hope someone here can help. It looks ground dug and looks like the weare

Default what unit is this tag for?

Hi Guys,
    I collect mainly field equipment but have had a lone tag for many years and don't know anything about it and hope someone here can help.

It looks ground dug and looks like the wearer used a neck chain like the tankers did ( so a fire would not separate the tag from the body ) because the holes are worn larger.

The markings are ....
    3. L w . B. Ers. Batl. XIII ( roll No 538 at top )

Hope you can help with this one - I tried the Wehrmacht Lexicon but got hopelessly lost!!

Thanks, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture what unit is this tag for?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement what unit is this tag for?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: what unit is this tag for?

Hi Dan,

That's:

3. Kompanie Luftwaffen-Bau-Ersatz-Bataillon XIII (Luftgau XIII) or 3rd company, Luftwaffe Construction Replacement Battalion XIII- the training unit that provided replacements to Luftwaffe construction units.

Certainly ground dug, but the holes are reamed or drilled larger, not worn by a chain which, being flat leaves rather different wear marks (and the large holes aren't an indicator of that anyway save for on stainless steel discs and then it's only the design intent, not necessarily the true practice).
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Thanks for that Matt - I'll see what I can find on that unit.

I do think the holes are worn to that shape. It's hard to photograph, but if you look closely at the edges of the holes there is a flared ridge ( or bellmouth if you will ) where the zinc has been deformed ... I can feel the slight flared ridge both sides with my fingers.

It's the sort of wear you would expect if the owner was using a US 'ball' type chain where the movement would deform the holes in the soft zinc evenly - not on a US tag because they were stainless.

A drill or reamer cant produce a ridge on BOTH sides ( sorry for the tech but I'm a toolmaker - metal is my trade )

Cheers, Dan

?

Yeah, it was that even edge that precluded a chain for me as that's the kind of thing you can get from a reamer or a drill- and then just hammer it down. But you're right- you can't get it on both sides for sure. The thing is that judging by the wear patterns common on Erkennumgsmarken caused even by fibre cords, you'd never get this kind of thing 'accidently'; the Germans didn't use ball chains or anything similar, so I can't think of a scenario that explains those holes. Unless someone wore it for fun after the war on a ball chain LOL

You may not find anything on the unit- my major reference doesn't even list it specifically- only a roundabout way shows it may have been based in Kirchberg/Hünsruck in 1943. Most listings for various Luftwaffe Bau field units only list created and disbanded dates and nothing more.

Thanks for your efforts Matt!! - a lot closer than i could get...

Cheers from down under.
    Dan

?

Sure thing Dan, I'm happy to help