Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why is this id tag round and lacking perforations?

Article about: I've been trying to identify the age and function of this id tag. It has alpha numeric coding similar to a soldier's ID tag, but it lacks the perforations to break it in half for record keep

Default Why is this id tag round and lacking perforations?

I've been trying to identify the age and function of this id tag.

It has alpha numeric coding similar to a soldier's ID tag, but it lacks the perforations to break it in half for record keeping purposes.
    It appears to be from the 4th division 41st infantry regiment which could be WWI era, not WWII.
    The word "Abend" could be a name or a reference to "evening".
    The fonts used on the tag are sans serif which could pre-date the Nazi regime.
    Because it is round, it could be a worker or pow tag.

That's what I know.

Can anyone provide more information?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Why is this id tag round and lacking perforations?
    P
    Many

?

This is not a erkennungsmarke, this is a clothing tag. If I am correct for an Abendanzug (evening jacket).

Regards, Rik

Quote by Dschop View Post
    This is not a erkennungsmarke, this is a clothing tag. If I am correct for an Abendanzug (evening jacket).
    I don't think so, Rik. The army had no uniform item designated as Abendanzug or something similar. (The two orders of evening dress were designated as kleiner Gesellschaftsanzug and großer Gesellschaftsanzug, and even these were not special uniforms as such but specific combinations of uniform items.)

I cannot say what purpose the tag did serve. Personally, I'm thinking more along the lines of some kind of canteen token.

(No identification disc, though; that's for sure.)

?

Thank you Andreas for clearing that up. My mistake, but I learned something from it.

Default Thanks for your feedback.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    I don't think so, Rik. The army had no uniform item designated as Abendanzug or something similar. (The two orders of evening dress were designated as kleiner Gesellschaftsanzug and großer Gesellschaftsanzug, and even these were not special uniforms as such but specific combinations of uniform items.)

I cannot say what purpose the tag did serve. Personally, I'm thinking more along the lines of some kind of canteen token.

(No identification disc, though; that's for sure.)
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm surprised you say it's not an id tag. It has the same alphanumeric coding of a military assignment. I look forward to hearing from someone who can positively id the tag.

Cheers!

Quote by drvernon View Post
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm surprised you say it's not an id tag. It has the same alphanumeric coding of a military assignment. I look forward to hearing from someone who can positively id the tag.
    It's just an abbreviated unit designation (4th Company, Infantry Regiment 41) whose format is not unique to dog tags, but used for any other administrative purpose as well.

(Just for the sake of completeness, the regiment was raised as Infanterie-Regiment Amberg in 1934, re-designated as Infanterie-Regiment 41 in 1935, Infanterie-Regiment (mot) 41 in 1940 and finally Grenadier-Regiment (mot) 41 in 1942.)

Trust me, whatever it is, it's definitely not a soldier's ID tag.

MAP
    ?

Could it be for supplies, crates, stores, shipping, etc.?? The hole seems perfect for a flat head nail.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hi drvernon,

Welcome to the WRF Forum. I tend to agree it is not a soldier's dog tag. This is certainly out of my area of expertise. Here is an extensive collection from Jeff Noll showing WWI German Examples. Also a book I have heard is a good read is: German WWI Identity Tags/Disks" by Peter Meinlschmidt. I have reached out to Jeff with your image to see if he has any thoughts on what he thinks about it. Back to you when I know more.

Good luck in the quest for future data!

Rossi
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Hello.
    It is Kleidermarke (clothing brand) Uniforms of the Wehrmacht and Waffen SS.
    Some of mine:
    Regards, Giovanni

Why is this id tag round and lacking perforations?Why is this id tag round and lacking perforations?Why is this id tag round and lacking perforations?Why is this id tag round and lacking perforations?

Quote by gianni59 View Post
    Hello.
    It is Kleidermarke (clothing brand) Uniforms of the Wehrmacht and Waffen SS.
    Some of mine:
    Regards, Giovanni

Why is this id tag round and lacking perforations?Why is this id tag round and lacking perforations?Why is this id tag round and lacking perforations?Why is this id tag round and lacking perforations?
    Thanks, Giovanni. Can you tell me more about these clothing tags? What are they used for? How would one acquire such a tag? Background: my friends father was an American soldier deployed in Europe during WWII. How might he have obtained or been given this tag?

Thanks, again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast