Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Estonian Firefighters Visor Cap

Article about: This was an enigma to me for many years. I obtained it from Dave Webster as a gift and we could not figure out what it was. It was missing it's cockarde, but the chinstrap and Soviet buttons

Default Estonian Firefighters Visor Cap

This was an enigma to me for many years. I obtained it from Dave Webster as a gift and we could not figure out what it was. It was missing it's cockarde, but the chinstrap and Soviet buttons were intact. There was a "ghost" on the band where the cockarde was supposed to be affixed, but for the life of me any Soviet cockarde I had in stock, saw on the internet or in books did not fit the bill...

I inquired with some colleagues on the Russian language collectors forums, but got nowhere - the final prognosis was "It is not Soviet in any case".

Finally, I was browsing eBay and a seller in Estonia was offering a "Estonian Fireman's badge". I had a gut feeling it was what I was looking for - and for ten bucks and a few extra for shipping I took the chance. Upon receipt, I held it up to the cap's band, and wouldn't you know it, it was a perfect match to the "ghost".

So, I have an Estonian fireman's cap... It's design is 1950s, possibly even 1960s IMO - comparing it to Soviet visor caps of the same/similar construction.

What I am curious about knowing is; Are the (Soviet) chinstrap buttons correct, or is there a specific type? They certainly appear to have been affixed to the cap for a very long time.

Dimas and/or any colleagues in the know concerning Estonian items, I would value your opinions, guesses, or factual answers on this.

Cheers,
    Richie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1055.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	400071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1056.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	400072  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1057.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	400073   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1058.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	214.1 KB 
ID:	400074  

Fellow collectors are NOT adversaries to be bested...

☭ "Ричик, я не понимаю, почему, почему ты тратишь деньги на эти вещи!" ☭

?

Default Re: Estonian Firefighters Visor Cap

Hi
    On the button, there should be a picture of a firefighters helmet. Similar insignia and buttons were also before WWII. Though there was a shield with 3 leopards above the helmet.

Regards
    K.

?

Default Re: Estonian Firefighters Visor Cap

Fantastic, that the badge was a match to the ghost outline on the cap.