Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

50s Soviet EM Uniform Help

Article about: Hi All, I'm taking a slight step into a field I know very little about. I'm good with British, German, French and US uniforms & kit, but recently have got a bit of a post war soviet bug,

XJ40JC
    ?

Default 50s Soviet EM Uniform Help

Hi All,

I'm taking a slight step into a field I know very little about.
    I'm good with British, German, French and US uniforms & kit, but recently have got a bit of a post war soviet bug, mainly Hungarian.
    Anyway essentially I'm interested to know what the uniform would be for a Soviet soldier sent to Budapest for the uprising in 1956?
    All the research I can find is naturally geared to war time uniforms.

So from my research thus far the uniform would be fairly similar to that of the late war time, M43 Gimnastiorka. Weaponry would be a mix of Mosins, PPSHs and even Ak47s.

So would the Gimnastiorka of the 50s be closer in detail to one made in the 60s or a war time piece?
    I've seen a huge variety of colours in the uniforms, which from my understanding was due to factories, and materials available. Was this standardised post war? Or by the 50s? And if so would the infantry EM be wearing the lighter sand coloured, or the darker almost chocolate material?

Same for the Pilotka? i've seen the dark almost synthetic and lighter cotton variants? I bought a nice early looking cap at W&P for pennies because I just liked the saltiness of it, but it was dated later than some of the heavy brand new ones I've seen. Would this dated 70s be the same as a 50s cap?

Sorry for all the questions. If someone could point me in the right direction of a book/thread/website to answer this it would be appreciated.
    As mentioned my searches have only brought up books or on war time kit or much later.

Thanks in advance.

JC

2. # ADS

?

Light cotton pilotka did not changed from 50's until the 70's, the same with gimnasterka. The same with weapons- also SKS carabines
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

My choice for a setup with an AK/SKS would be an early/mid 50X uniform ensemble in the common light coloured cotton with the green thread. Relatively easy to find and usually priced reasonably.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!