Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Buttons, Buttons & Buttons

Article about: Early/mid 1940s IMO....

?

Default Re: Making Sense of Gym Buttons

A bit better pictures
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Buttons, Buttons & Buttons  
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Buttons, Buttons & Buttons
    P
    Many

Quote by Dimas View Post
    This is the standard brass big army buttons with stars. Nr 1 is 1947 year, nr 2 is a pre war
    Not buying this Dimas, maybe I am missing something????... What makes your 1947 different from 41-45? Certainly this same style back plate and shank can befound on good wartime buttons in both Gym size and coat size.

Item #2 in post 19 and Item #1 in post 20 are not significantly different in my opinion, but you say one is 1947 and the other prewar??

?

The postwar is more triangled shape, and most of the ppre war made, take a close look how the hook is attached, most of pre war buttons attached with two holes trough the plate, postwar is more simpified and made trough a one hole, it is the difference only in that shape of buttons. Even for me, I met this buttons only on the early postwar items, the small buttons is for sure 47 year...
    Regards,
    Dimas

Dimas,

What detail is more triangle shaped? The raised area on the reverse side?

I think the method of shank attachment on the coat buttons is inconclusive. These are done many ways, but fall into three basic groups. Attached with two holes in the back plate, attached with a slot in the back plate, or permanently fixed. Some of the slot type back plates have the embossed ring, some are more flat on the back. I suspect all of these can be found on wartime coats.

Of the Gym sized buttons you show, one appears to be a button for attaching a visor hat strap (two metal tabs instead of a shank). The one below it is a Gym button. They are the same size and use the same back plate for simplicity, probably the same factory. Check your wartime visors and see what the button back plates are like on those.

I really wish all my uniforms were not packed away at the moment...

?

Firstly: you are sure about
    What detail is more triangle shaped? The raised area on the reverse side?
    Secondary: this is concerning "raised " type of buttons only
    These are done many ways, but fall into three basic groups. Attached with two holes in the back plate, attached with a slot in the back plate, or permanently fixed. Some of the slot type back plates have the embossed ring, some are more flat on the back. I suspect all of these can be found on wartime coats.
    Only one war time hat I have which is fitted with flat back button with metal tabs, other caps are all with a thread attached normally small buttons. All the other like I show before probably postwar replacement. Due of war time uniforms was still in use till the mid of 1950's ( due of extrimelly penury times- many of the officers get money for newest uniform, but spent them for a live)
    Regards,
    Dimas

Thanks Dimas, good discussion

Anyone of you newer guys confused yet?

I agree with Michael, excellent discussion and I understand explanations of Dimas !!!!!
    As I am stuck at home, I searched my files and I found 2 interesting photos showing the buttons.

The first picture date 08 October 1943. The buttons are shoulderboards the small model with the arms of the USSR and the buttons are gymnasterka (I think) steel with 4 holes.

The second photo, no date and I have never encountered this type of buttons.

Philippe

I forgot to ask in my previous post and let me know when the buttons are emerged in steel with 4 holes ?
    I also found these buttons in the Navy.
    Here are the pictures front and back and also a picture showing a gymnasterka with such buttons.

Regards.
    Philippe

Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    Thanks Dimas, good discussion

Anyone of you newer guys confused yet?
    I am - but more confusion to come ...
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Philippe!

Cool image of the female. It seems that the buttons on her collar-tabs are cloth covered. Quite a rare sight to state the least.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Buttons, Buttons & Buttons  
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast