Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Dry cleaning & care of a uniform?

Article about: I would not let any dry cleaner do any kind of "work" on a uniform except for a ironing to remove wrinkles. By now my drycleaner has learned not to ask if to clean it, but it has t

Default Re: Dry cleaning & care of a uniform?

I would not let any dry cleaner do any kind of "work" on a uniform except for a ironing to remove wrinkles.

By now my drycleaner has learned not to ask if to clean it, but it has taken a while They are eager to put their chemicals on the uniform, after all, their work is to remove stains from our daily clothing - but with a uniform it would remove the smell, the stains, everything that makes it a piece of history.

Btw - nice uniform

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dry cleaning & care of a uniform?
    P
    Many

?

Red face Re: Dry cleaning & care of a uniform?

It's a fairly bad smell though...

The best thing is to find a "K'himcheestka" (Dry cleaners!) that uses a 'green-earth' machine.

Most dry-cleaners use machines that use perchloroethylene and whilst it's okay on most things that date from the fifties and later, I myself wouldn't want to put anything that pre-dates that time through such a harsh chemical process.

The 'Green Earth' chemicals are much milder, but as you can imagine, not as good at getting stubbon stains and marks out.

I would caution against them 'spotting' the garments as well. Usually, before they go in the machine, the dry-cleaners usually dab special enzyme based chemicals (designed to break down stains left by things such as food, urine - and worse) on any marks they find first - these can be rather harsh on fabrics and take the colour out if overused.

Ah, the things you learn from old Saturday jobs!

?

Thanks Robin for the knowledge share! It should be ok as its 1970's, i've got no major stains to worry about, just the filthy smell that is football changing room with a top note of cat wee-wee and mothballs....mmmm!!
    Cheers!

Quote by Koba64 View Post
    Thanks Robin for the knowledge share! It should be ok as its 1970's, i've got no major stains to worry about, just the filthy smell that is football changing room with a top note of cat wee-wee and mothballs....mmmm!!
    Cheers!
    Ah, but surely that is the specially blended fragrance known as Aroma L'Vieux Uniforme?

But back to business - 1970's? Nah, I doubt you'll have a problem - just take it to the k'himcheestka. It would have been taken to the dry cleaners back in the seventies as well, so it's not as if anything inauthentic is being done to it.

Quote by Dimas View Post
    I prefer untouched condition as is, IMHO, all the work made is make the item less than a 100% authentic. Personally I have some helmets which still has original dust on the liner and remaining some attic storage traces like old leafs and hay...
    I'm with you Dimas. I have three WWI aviation uniforms in my collection and I would not dream of having them cleaned. As for that old sweaty, musty smell...well, that is the smell of history!
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Erm, its not really the smell of history in any romantic sense, Soviet uniforms were routinely sprayed with powerful anti-mothing chemical, heavens only knows whats in it. Add this unholy cocktail of vicious chemicals to the hideous and pervasive odour and you'll understand why I want to clean it.
    I'm not some kind of chump set on destroying the aura of history that historical items are imbued with, I'm just rather concerned with potentially carcinogenic Soviet compounds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2