Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

gimnasterka and telogreika questions

Article about: I recently picked up these two uniform items up at a show. The seller said they were WWII and that he got them back in the 1970's. I got mixed opinions of them at the show and so I didn't pa

?

Default gimnasterka and telogreika questions

I recently picked up these two uniform items up at a show. The seller said they were WWII and that he got them back in the 1970's. I got mixed opinions of them at the show and so I didn't pay a lot for them. He said there is a hat that will go with the sale price but he forgot it at home and will send it to me or else some money back. I'll post the hat if and when I get it. Also I had contacted several member collectors on this site for opinions and one of them suggested to post the items here.
    So, first the gimnasterka, I can't find any photos of a tunic like it in my searches. There are no stamps on the tunic. The buttons on the tunic are not original to the tunic as they show signs of replacement sewing. The color is a greenish khaki, the photos don't really show the right color.
    Each side of the front of the blouse has two sewn darts that only run half way down the length of the tunic. One under each pocket and one on each side. Plus there are four full seams, one on each side, one down the middle front, and one down the middle back. The material is a tight weave and fairly heavy weight.
    Appreciate any opinions on this tunic.

The trousers have no marking in them and the color is greenish khaki. The waist is very high. Much higher, at least from a number of post war ones I looked at. You can tell by the distance from the top of the belt loop to the top of the pants. Those post war ones I looked at, the belt loop was closer to the pants top. Don't know if that makes a difference for dating?
    Any opinions on the pants?

Ray
    gimnasterka and telogreika questionsgimnasterka and telogreika questionsgimnasterka and telogreika questionsgimnasterka and telogreika questionsgimnasterka and telogreika questionsgimnasterka and telogreika questionsgimnasterka and telogreika questionsgimnasterka and telogreika questions
    Last edited by RayG; 03-08-2014 at 03:55 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement gimnasterka and telogreika questions
    P
    Many

Dom
    ?

Quote by RayG View Post
    The trousers have no marking in them and the color is greenish khaki. The waist is very high. Much higher, at least from a number of post war ones I looked at. You can tell by the distance from the top of the belt loop to the top of the pants. Those post war ones I looked at, the belt loop was closer to the pants top. Don't know if that makes a difference for dating?
    Any opinions on the pants?

Ray
    Hello Ray ,

The pants are post war to me, the best indicator is the pocket on the front which is a modification from 1947 .

Dom
    ?

For the blouse, many modifications may be civilian use or cinema ?
    Not much to do with the known military models.
    This is only my personal opinion.

?

Well the seller was true to his word and sent me the hat. Not sure what it is or what period and maybe it's not very old. Also it doesn't seem to be quality made. Is it a paratrooper or tanker helmet and what period? There's no markings in it, Ray

Last edited by RayG; 03-09-2014 at 11:20 AM.

?

The tunic appears to be well made having reinforcements on the sleeve seams and the pocket openings.
    Maybe early officers or soldiers private made? Here's a reverse side view. Ray

?

The inside seam stitching looks to be hand sewn. Is it Russian or some other countries? It doesn't seem to be the best quality.
    Also about what date would it be? Ray

?

Researching tunics and found this one 1912 one that has similar cut smaller pockets with pleated breast pockets that might give a clue as to the period of my tunic and also the type of buttons it might of have. There was evidence of black thread pieces from the original buttons that were on the tunic I have. Here's the photo and description of this tunic. Ray

C002171 WWI M1912 RUSSIAN GYMNASTIOKA. A green/brown cotton shirt with two buttons to the stand up collar with a line of three buttons to the front. All buttons appear to be constructed from horn. Two pleated breast pockets with scalloped flaps and metal snaps are to the chest. There has been additional fabric sewn to each cuff to make the arms longer. The chest measures approximately 44". The tunic shows heavy usage and wear making it a very nice salty and used item. Of Note: So many of these tunics were needed, that there were a variety of variations that included pockets, rear vents and fold back cuffs. Page 133 of "Uniforms of World War I" by Jonathan North and Jeremy Black

Last edited by RayG; 03-15-2014 at 03:09 AM.