MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Green Russian cap badge

Article about: Can anybody tell me what this badge would be for? I apologise if this is a stupid question but I know absolutely nothing about Russian WW2 insignia and I thought cap badges were supposed to

AIF
    ?

Default Green Russian cap badge

Can anybody tell me what this badge would be for?
    I apologise if this is a stupid question but I know absolutely nothing about Russian WW2 insignia and I thought cap badges were supposed to be red?

Thanks in advance

Cheers Luke.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Green Russian cap badge   Green Russian cap badge  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Green Russian cap badge
    P
    Many

Default Re: Green Russian cap badge

It looks like a standard cap badge of the 1940's, its not unusual to see green as well as red ones. Heres one on a cap on Espenlaub's site for example WW2 item

AIF
    ?

Thanks mate! I did try a google search before I posted this but nothing came up...

Thanks again for your help

Cheers Luke.

Hello Luke,

Green or "Khaki" (the latter being color terminology as used by the Russians in the order) was introduced in 1941. Besides star-cockardes; buttons, rank pips, and branch insignia were included.

I do not believe that they were initially used as widely as the "red stuff", but they do appear today from time to time - the branch insignia being the most uncommon.

The prong-less/sewn-on star shown by Douglas (and below by myself) is very simplified - It is the first time I have seen one affixed to an actual cap - whether it be in person, or in period images.

Regards,
    Richie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Green Russian cap badge  
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Here are two more examples - the first 31MM, the second 22MM.

Note the manufacturing defect (the placement of the prongs) on the latter...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Green Russian cap badge   Green Russian cap badge  

Here I show a salty one, made from tin - 22MM:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Green Russian cap badge  

This one is an oddball - heavy brass similar to early/mid 1930s make - 38MM.

Perhaps it is missing/removed enamel and painted green. Old paint no doubt.

One of my favourites...

This one is also somewhat of an oddball. It seems to be a 1942 red painted type, but with khaki overpaint, made from steel - 32MM...

AIF
    ?

Thanks for the extra info Richie! I really like those poor quality stars... I guess the Russians had bigger things to worry about than making good cap badges when those were made.