MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M35 gymnasterka with unusual chemical protection modifications?

Article about: Hi Last time I was able to get this nice, well worn M35 gym from reputable dealers in Russia. Generally a nice, field used, M35 manufactured in 1941 in Kazan according to manufacturing stamp

Hi Bill
    No, the tabs aren’t the same material as the tunic. I’m not sure about the color, I would say,no, they don’t seem to be the same color as tunic, they are more brownish.
    That’s the thing which concerned me too, but looking at the uniforms with M41 tabs from that period we can see that these were made from different kinds of fabric. I’d say that during hard wartime period (khaki insignia were introduced by order from August 1 1941) they made these from what was available, not from they should do these.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 gymnasterka with unusual chemical protection modifications?
    P
    Many

?

Exactly. The Soviet Union was massive and materials produced throughout varied enormously. Complete uniformity was rare even in western production, so it is misguided to expect it within Red Army uniforms.
    As you rightly say, MarineCollector, wartime emergencies forced the use of anything that was vaguely suitable.

Cheers,
    Bob

?

Yes, Marinecollector and Bob, I completely agree that wartime exigencies demand that other materials be used.

Marinecollector, you say that these collar tabs look brownish, and they do look so on my computer screen. However, I have been looking at your third to last photo in which the collar is flipped up to show the underside of it. There is a bit of the collar tab that is sewn down under the collar. Perhaps this portion of the collar tab is less faded. That little bit of collar tab looks grayish-green on my computer screen unlike the other portions of the collar tab color. However, I realize color on computer screens can greatly vary.

Would you say that that portion of collar tab under the collar is still more brownish? Or is the grayish-green color I am seeing more accurate?

By the way, those are nicely detailed photographs. Thank you for sharing.

-Bill

Yes, the edges of collar tabs underneath are greyish but it’s not the original color but it’s just dirty I believe due to fact that this piece is collar tabs had contact with material of a dirty gym. Part just on the egde of a collartab underneath collar has just the same color as it has on it’s front, maybe just a bit more brownish.

Dom
    ?

Very nice M35 Jakob
    Indeed these Gym are said "chemical troops", I have already seen many of which 2 in mint condition, the sharovari has the same characteristic.

Thanks!
    Im curious how many of these actually made it to chemical troops. Whether in chaos of 1941 were spread all around and were worn by soldiers of various specializations.

Very nice sample.
    Congrat
    Bruno

?

I'm hoping to get my hands on one like this soon. These types are indeed often labeled as for 'Chemical Troops' but I think they were for general issue.

The flap is a protective measure against vapour and droplets; chemical troops were no more likely to be targeted by gas than any other. After all, respirators and gas hoods were for general issue too. Soviet Chemical Troops operated flamethrowers, generated smoke screens and had a defensive decontamination role (for which there was specific, rubberised individual protective equipment like capes and suits).

I've searched for a reference and the absence of one (so far) suggests to me that this flap might have been a short term pragmatic measure. Most likely, this was a limited production run for general issue, with a modification that was felt necessary at the time then dropped. A fair number seem to have survived, maybe they were uncomfortable or in many cases just never issued?

This is a great example, especially with original collar tabs.

Quote by Marinecollector42 View Post
    Hi
    Last time I was able to get this nice, well worn M35 gym from reputable dealers in Russia.
    Generally a nice, field used, M35 manufactured in 1941 in Kazan according to manufacturing stamps, size 2 (for a short, probably young soldier), deffinitely saw a lot of action.
    Has nice field collar tabs introduced in 1941, no signs of rank insignia.

The thing which concerns me the most are some unusual modifications which I can see for the first time.
    -[B]flap inside jacket-just the same as seen in late WWII US uniforms, used there as "gas flap". This one gas a buton hole to be fastened[B]
    -one additional buton hidden under collar flat-to fasten "gas flap"?
    -remains af a bakelite buton in left shoulder area-strange place for a buton-what was it for?
    -buton loop on collar-probably to close the collat better with buton hidden under collar flap?
    Guys from Russia described this tunic as "chemical troops tunic" but due to my limited knowledge of Russian and limited English on their website I wasn't able to be sure whether they mean collar tabs or this flap as chemical troops speciality (as we know, collar tabs are not for chemical troops (black) but for all kind of troops used in the field).
    I wasn't also able to find anything about this in uniform regulations.
    Anyone knows anything about this modifications?
    I would appreciate your opinions about this tunic.
    Nice and not easy to find M35/41 gimnastiorka in experimental antichemical suit version. Have a match pants for this jacket ( in never used condition dated 1940 ). Those uniforms ( jacket and ants were original impregnated - as the underhelmet chemical togues do ).

?

At last. Here is mine.

Very similar but with standard black gymnasterka buttons, minus both tabs and waist gusset at the bottom (by the hem).

The closing method of the collar is by hook; this method was gradually replaced by a loop and button (as on Marinecollector42's) as per regulations for simplified Gyms. These also deleted cuff buttons.

The date is 1941.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast