Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M43 Gymnaserka

Article about: I got this while living in Germany in the 70-80's. Boards are attaced with strings through double holes. There's a seam (hard to see in photos) running from the mid-top of the pocket to the

pjm
    ?

Default M43 Gymnaserka

I got this while living in Germany in the 70-80's. Boards are attaced with strings through double holes. There's a seam (hard to see in photos) running from the mid-top of the pocket to the mid-shoulder area.

All but two of the buttons are "Waterbury Conn" marked.

It is possible to date? The 2 replacement buttons are multi-piece but rather cheap sheet brass stamped.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M43 Gymnaserka   M43 Gymnaserka  

M43 Gymnaserka  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M43 Gymnaserka
    P
    Many

Default Re: M43 Gymnaserka

Very nice postwar (late 1940s/early 1950s) M43!

The buttons you write about with the WATERBURY marking are US Lend-Lease make (there were two or three other U.S. companies that made buttons also).

IMO, the shoulder-boards are of German make (judging from the the type of metallic lace used) and the bullion embroidered stars are definitely German applied.

Concerning the Gymnasterka itself, these and many other cloth items were also made in occupied Germany with high quality materials (can one expect any less?). Without seeing this one up close or actually holding it, I can not tell.

I really like German made items and actually own quite an assortment of pieces. Someday, I'll get around to showing them off. Until then, many thanks for taking the time to show yours.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

pjm
    ?

Thanks for the info. It's a nice piece ...branch devices are missing from the boards but otherwise it's in great shape. I have a few others including an officer with piped cuffs and breeches. I should dig them out and post on here.

I have a variety of medals, gymnaserka, camo, mundir and caps I collected when I lived in Germany. I liked early stuff - civil war etc- and it was very hard to get so I mostly have WW2 and post-war.

Quote by pjm View Post
    ...branch devices are missing from the boards but otherwise it's in great shape.
    A pair of Soviet made crossed cannons for Gunner or a pair of Tanks for Armor should not be too difficult to find and I think would do just fine. The German made ones are tough. I only have had the opportunity to aquire one pair of each over the years.

Quote by pjm View Post
    I have a few others including an officer with piped cuffs and breeches. I should dig them out and post on here.

I have a variety of medals, gymnaserka, camo, mundir and caps I collected when I lived in Germany. I liked early stuff - civil war etc- and it was very hard to get so I mostly have WW2 and post-war.
    Please do!

pjm
    ?

I guess that was the advantage of living in Germany - a lot of the Soviet stuff I got was apparently produced there.

I'll start digging... my stuff is packed away but I think I can find something. The medals are in a box - I liked the screwback Red Banners and managed to find them at German militaria shows when no one cared. Also have a camo shirt with the yarn clumps all over it.

?

And I can tell that this beautiful gimnasterka is a female one! Left side closed and two seams over the pockets...
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

pjm
    ?

Great - and that accounts for the seam over the pockets to the shoulder.

pjm
    ?

I may put this one in the For Sale forum. I am selling some of my Russian items.