Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M43 Gymnasterka: war period?

Article about: by Wesley's Dad rimless, but undated 18mm buttons were of postwar vintage. In the beginning they were having problem with fixed hooks and manufactured rimless buttons with moving hooks in bo

Default M43 Gymnasterka: war period?

Hello comrads!
    I have bought this gymanasterka fot a very (very) low price. Can someone tell me if it is a war period tunic or a post war tunic? Thank you for your help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M43 Gymnasterka: war period?   M43 Gymnasterka: war period?  

M43 Gymnasterka: war period?   M43 Gymnasterka: war period?  

M43 Gymnasterka: war period?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M43 Gymnasterka: war period?
    P
    Many

Default Re: M43 Gymnasterka: war period?

IMO, the gymasterka itself seems tailored to make it 1940s / early 50s - Also, I have seen the larger (18MM or so) buttons commonly used on these in photos from that period.

However, the crude wound badge is an addition made more recently - IMO again, of course...

"Wartime" in this genre, is a very difficult pinpoint to detect.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

?

Are the buttons dated at all (on the reverse)?

Hello; I do not have a good picture. The button have no date and no marks. They look like war period buttons in two parts . I try to take a picture.

Buttons can be changed... This especially applies to the 13MM type on most gymnasterka.

In this case, they are the 18MM type originally intended for use on shoulder-boards. I myself have never come across a specimen that was marked.

Quote by RichieC View Post
    In this case, they are the 18MM type originally intended for use on shoulder-boards. I myself have never come across a specimen that was marked.
    Richie,

I'll let you clarify in your own words, but am I correct to assume that your meant you have never seen an 18mm type... with the pronounced rim around the perimeter... that was marked.

Thanks Mike!

Yes, to clarify: 18MM type originally intended for use on shoulder-boards. I myself have never come across a specimen OF THAT TYPE (the type affixed to the gymnasterka in question) that were marked.

Dom
    ?

This gymnasterka was sold on Ebay ??

The seller did not want other pictures, the answer is here in my opinion ! !

?

Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    Richie,
    I'll let you clarify in your own words, but am I correct to assume that your meant you have never seen an 18mm type... with the pronounced rim around the perimeter... that was marked.
    Gentlemen

In December of 1942 Stalin approved shoulder boards and shoulder boards buttons. Those buttons had classical design without a rim and with a loop stamped into back of a brass. But due to equipment shortage manufacturer was capable to produced such buttons in limited quantities thus this type of design was used mostly for manufacturing of generals and admirals buttons with limited number of buttons with the star. For mass production another type with a rim and flat bottom was developed. In 1946 new design without a rim was approved and put in production. Year of manufacturing start appearing on the back of the buttons almost a decade later.

P.S. By the way this type of fabric went into production in fifties.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M43 Gymnasterka: war period?  
    Last edited by vvadim; 05-25-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Quote by vvadim View Post
    G In 1946 new design without a rim was approved and put in production. Year of manufacturing start appearing on the back of the buttons almost a decade later.

1946... Based on wartime photos, I have long suspected these commonly found rimless, but undated 18mm buttons were of postwar vintage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast