Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My collection of Soviet Stars + some still unidentified pieces..

Article about: Good morning everybody dear fellow collectors! Since in the last months I enriched my collection of Soviet stars I decided to post a new updated photo of the most interesting pieces. Here it

?

Default My collection of Soviet Stars + some still unidentified pieces..

Good morning everybody dear fellow collectors!

Since in the last months I enriched my collection of Soviet stars I decided to post a new updated photo of the most interesting pieces.

Here it is!

Some pieces there are quite rare, but still I think that none is entirely new to all of you..anyway:

From up left first row: 1918, Hammer and Plough star; beginning 1920s star in synthetic ruby (right?) for civil use; 1921-22 one piece star; 1936 Police; 1932 Transport.

Second row: first three stars, 1935 two pieces construction model; fourth star two pieces post-war model (right?).

Third row: first two stars, 1940 (right?); third star, VOHR (which year? I know that, unfortunately, the roud metal piece on which the star should be fixed is missing..).

Fourth row: various postwar stars (exact date of the models? I thought: first 1951, second and third 1945).

On the right side of the photo different versions of pilotkas and other small stars and here I am really not sure about the dates...

I can definitely provide better pictures of every single star (if needed) and of course of the reverse..nevertheless the quality of this picture should be enough to identify the stars (I hope..).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My collection of Soviet Stars + some still unidentified pieces..
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: My collection of Soviet Stars + some still unidentified pieces..

And now the problematic stars!

So..here they come!

The standard pilotka 1964 star above was placed to give a reference in terms of measures.

About the three unidentified stars..they were purchased as parts of different lots..except fot the last one. All sold of course as "soviet", but this does not actually count that much..

My opinions about the stars:

1st one. looks like this star fell under a tank! It is completely flattened. Looks Soviet anyway..;

2nd star. great doubts, the design looks Soviet, but the materials do not remind me of any other star I have ever seen before. This cockade actually looks a little bit like some cap stars used by the Yugoslav forces (and probably provided by the USSR before the Tito-Stalin split), but some collectors of Yugoslav militaria expressed several doubts. Some suggested this star could be a copy made for movies or parades..

3rd one. no ideas. the quality of the red paint is pretty poor, as well as the one of the details of the hammer and sickle. The star is very very thin. Once more my mind goes to Yugoslavia and communist forces during-immediately after WWII. Given the great mess there was in Yugoslavia in terms of cap badges and unfirms (many models being used at the same time), I thought this could have been one. I have actually seen somewhere some photos of a similar star..I will try to post them to better discuss the issue!

Anyway. I hope you will be interested by this topic and will comment giving me your opinions.

Best,

GC

Take a few close-ups (obverse and reverse) of the two I have circled.

I would be interested in seeing them and possibly offering an opinion.

Regards,
    Richie
    Attached Images Attached Images My collection of Soviet Stars + some still unidentified pieces.. 
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

?

Thank you very much RichieC for your answer!

Given the poor quality of the red paint on this star I took three photos of the front (one with flash).

My collection of Soviet Stars + some still unidentified pieces..My collection of Soviet Stars + some still unidentified pieces..My collection of Soviet Stars + some still unidentified pieces..

Then some more photos, reverse and profile.

My collection of Soviet Stars + some still unidentified pieces..My collection of Soviet Stars + some still unidentified pieces..My collection of Soviet Stars + some still unidentified pieces..

Finally, the other star.

Hope the photos are good and I am impatient to hear your comments!

Best,

GC

?

There we go! Here it is the picture I was talking about!
    A fellow collector sent it to me when I showed my Yugoslav partisan-postwar hat badge (similar to the ones up in the page but [once] enameled).

The poorly painted star looks to me very similar to the last one, down in the left page:

1. hammer and sickle look similar
    2. the paint of the star showed on the book appears to be of poor quality as well (it definitely does not look like enameled as the other one shown in the same page)
    3. the perimetrical line all around the star's edge is present

Just on my star there are no lines running from the center of the star to its edge..as in the star on the book.

Nevertheless, the star on this book is the most similar one to mine I've had the chance to see until now. I wish I had better pics of the book (or actually the book itself..).

What do you think RichieC?

The first example is (IMO) a poorly lacquered wartime TIN type. I have shown a very similar example at some point in the past within one of the cap star threads.

Inconclusively, the second appears to be a 50s type missing it's enamel.

If you can manage a better image of the latter, it would help...

?

RichieC, I am sorry for my unforgivable delay in coming back to you. I moved abroad and my collection stayed at home, which means that I will have the possibility to provide better pics of the second star only around Christmas (and nevertheless I will definitely do it).

Regarding what you said about the first star: it was my opinion as well that the star belonged to the huge "non-textbook" amount of WWII stars. Would you say it is Soviet or would you give it a chance to be Yugoslav example?

Thanks again for sharing your always precious knowledge of Soviet star.

Best,

GC

GC,

IMO, it is 100% Soviet made...