MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

NKVD border guard

Article about: I just picked up what I believe is a M-43 NKVD border guards gymnasterka. If I am wrong please correct me. I am new to collecting uniforms so any help would be great. Where would the stamp b

Default Re: NKVD border guard

more
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NKVD border guard   NKVD border guard  

NKVD border guard  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NKVD border guard
    P
    Many

front pocket and button
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NKVD border guard   NKVD border guard  

NKVD border guard  

The shoulder board stars are silvered.

No doubt the gymnasterka is authentic, but I am trying to determine the time of manufacture. IMO, definitely postwar, but I would like to narrow it down a bit by the actual colour of the fabric. In some images the fabric appears to be khaki. However, in others it appears to be an olive-drab.

If you could snap some images in natural light, it would be an enormous help.

While you are there, take shots of the obverse and reverse of those wound stripes, and the obverse and reverse of the shoulder-boards. As for the latter, I am curious about the damage to the edgings.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Well good old California is not allowing any natural sunlight lol

I will post some pictures later do the best of my ability later on. Thanks for all the help!

Pardon my ignorance NKVD border guard? North Korean? Just guessing. I did pull duty in Germany during the Cold War, I was assigned to a Cavalry Unit that patrolled the border. In fact I was assigned on O.P. Alpha for a staggering 13 months (long story) That uniform looks very simular to the East German Border Guards uniform. I don't recall the hammer and sickle buttons on the uniform. There were occassions where we stood eye to eye with each other, we just never stepped across that line, nor did they. Is that the same uniform that the East German Border guards had? It sure looks familiar.

Mike

Hi Mike, the uniform is Soviet. The People's Ministry of Internal Affairs or in Russian the Народный Комиссариат Внутренних Дел Narodnyy Komissariat Vnutrennikh Del

NKVD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Mike, the uniform is Soviet. The People's Ministry of Internal Affairs or in Russian the Народный Комиссариат Внутренних Дел Narodnyy Komissariat Vnutrennikh Del

NKVD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Adrian,

There was something familiar about it but I googled it and there is a difference compared to the uniforms I saw, In fact they had a very mild cammo thing going on their uniforms that I just recalled.

Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NKVD border guard  

I know this may sound stupid, but do you think the shoulder boards are damaged on the inner edges cause it was worn by somebody or was this not common.

I visited the dealer who sold me the tunic this afternoon, he stated that he only purchases Soviet items privately and he has never used the internet to sell or buy (old school guy). He moved here after the fall and has contacts in Russia. I have purchased lots of other items from him metals, documents, etc. I have never had to return any thing.

He was very adamant that if I thought it was fake he would give me my money back no questions asked. I just wanna make sure i'm right before that happens.

Anyways, back to the tunic. It is definitely olive- drab (darker) not khaki (lighter). The wound patch appears to be from three pieces
    of fabric and sewn on. Does the German button on the shoulder board mean fake or late 40s early 50s? Thanks for the help

This is not "fake" - but what we are trying to determine if has been "put together" recently. Really, if so that is no big a deal, but the components should conform to the time period being recreated, IMO. As far as I know, that type of olive wool came about in the mid-late 50s and went on well into the 60s.

I particularly do not care for wound stripes on postwar uniforms, as they are usually added to make an item more "saleable" - and to create something that is not.

I still would like to see better images of the shoulderboards as the damage seems a bit odd.

Also, regulation-wise, NKVD troops used gymnasterka with patch pockets well into the 1950s. But I am sure there were exceptions.

Those German buttons are quite common.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast