Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Obr 1940 Infantry Pip

Article about: Just something small that I picked up, these tend to be more scarce than rank pips. Finnish war booty from the Continuation War.

Default Obr 1940 Infantry Pip

Just something small that I picked up, these tend to be more scarce than rank pips. Finnish war booty from the Continuation War.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Obr 1940 Infantry Pip  
    Last edited by Aleksander P; 04-12-2016 at 04:06 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Obr 1940 Infantry Pip
    P
    Many

?

I hate to sound like an idiot but what was the continuation war if you don't mind my asking ?

Quote by SteveR View Post
    I hate to sound like an idiot but what was the continuation war if you don't mind my asking ?
    No problem! It was the conflict between Finland and the Soviet Union 1941-1944. Winter War was fought in 1939-1940 and after that came the Interim Peace, 1940 to June 1941 - so people saw that the Continuation War was a separate conflict but continued where the Winter War left off, unfinished business so to say .

Wikipedia has an in-depth and factual page about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuation_War

Aleks,

Can you tell me if the enamel in the center of the target is dark blue or black?

Thanks
    Mike

Dom
    ?

Imo the flash did not give him justice and distorts the color. Design "Артель.Лен.Змальер"

Sorry guys, I haven't gotten the item yet. I'll post a better photo as soon as I get home.

Dom,

I ask because of the one I have... This is a German soldier's wallet with RKKA cap and collar insignia period attached. The target center of the rifles device is quite interesting wouldn't you agree?? ... and no flash photography

Obr 1940 Infantry PipObr 1940 Infantry PipObr 1940 Infantry Pip

Dom
    ?

Mike ,

Yes interesting you think that pigmentation has evolved over the years ?

Nice wallet

Dom,

I have no idea... It is possible that the color shifted. I could see black being created with a variety of pigments such as blue and red... with red being unstable to ultra-violet light as is still a problem in 2016. With the red weakened, the blue would dominate.

I do not discount the possibility that for all these years we have simply been incorrect. At arm's length they appear black. It is possible they were dark blue all the time. ??? Dark enough to appear black. Certainly lighter blue coloration is know on other Soviet badges, such as parachute badges, Vorishilov Horseman etc. If they wanted it blue, it could have been made much more so.

Mike

Dom
    ?

This one is black (checked in the sun and magnifying glass )

Obr 1940 Infantry Pip

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast