Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Officer greatcoat

Article about: I would advice this one- that is a good and rare M 27 http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-Soviet-Russ...3%3A1|294%3A50

Default Officer greatcoat

Gentlemen,

What do you think about this greatcoat? Is it wartime period or post war? I suspect it is post war, but I prefer to hear your opinion.

What would be a fair price to pay for it?

Regards,

Gus
    Attached Images Attached Images Officer greatcoat  Officer greatcoat  Officer greatcoat  Officer greatcoat  Officer greatcoat  Officer greatcoat  Officer greatcoat  Officer greatcoat 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Officer greatcoat
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Officer greatcoat

HI Gus. I would know how many buttons is on the row? 5 buttons is pre 1947 year army coat. Insignia looks OK to me with late 1945 type shoulderstarps, lend-lease cloth is mostly seen on the 1945 year straps.
    Stitching of the collartabs IMO is later attchment ( and by lasy hand )
    The left pocket must have pocket trough if it's a factory issue ( that looks like a factory issue)
    Here is a couple of war time issued coats

The price for the overcoats in Russia without insignia is approx 300-550 USD, depends of the condition.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Hi Gus, it looks very promising!

Cheers, Ade.

The insignia (stars and Gunner's crossed cannons) dates from mid 1950X>.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Dimas and Ade,

Thanks so much for your replies.

It does look promising. I have emailed the seller to see how many front buttons the jacket has, as well as detailed photos of the left pocket. I have also asked for any stamps on the coat. Some dealers overlook and underestimate this obvious information.

I´ll keep you informed.

Regards,

Gus

Quote by RichieC View Post
    The insignia (stars and Gunner's crossed cannons) dates from mid 1950X>.
    Richie,

Thanks for the info. Is there still a possibility that the greatcoat is wartime regardless of the fact that the insignia is post war? Was it a common practice (to update insignia on a wartime garment)?

I also forgot to mention that the size is large. From shoulder to shoulder is 50 cms. The sleeve lenth is 72 cms. The coat is 127 cms long (without the collar).

Regards,

gus

?

I would say the guns is the same Richie, but war time examples has mostly nonscrew backings
    Regards,
    Dimas

?

As I can say, all the insignia is postwar added ( the tabs is for sure a post war addition, if so, the shoulderstraps changes easily), most of the items was re-issued in civil life without insignia. Survived examples with insignia mostly from theaters and museums.
    Regards,
    Dimas

Quote by guscanoesp View Post
    Is there still a possibility that the greatcoat is wartime regardless of the fact that the insignia is post war? Was it a common practice (to update insignia on a wartime garment)?
    Absolutely...

But I think that the collar tabs and shoulder-boards are a more recent addition... This is no problem, really. This seems to be a nice coat in any case, postwar or not...

Quote by Dimas View Post
    I would say the guns is the same Richie, but war time examples has mostly nonscrew backings
    I have come to the conclusion that early 1950X type gunner's insignia is a bit smaller in size, by only a few MM compared to 1930X/1940X types. Of course the latter 1950X type is it's own entirely different animal...

I am a bit under the weather at present , but I'll make a photo comparison concerning these as soon as I am in a better frame of mind...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast