Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Red Army Star Cockarde

Article about: Hi Guys, Just picked up this cockarde. It measures (tip to tip) 31mm/30.9mm, all combinations differ slightly, the badge is two piece & has a nice patina to it, it is also magnetic. From

Default Red Army Star Cockarde

Hi Guys,
    Just picked up this cockarde. It measures (tip to tip) 31mm/30.9mm, all combinations differ slightly, the badge is two piece & has a nice patina to it, it is also magnetic. From the examples I've seen on the forum, this is an M36 ? The enamel on the badge is quite striking too, wondered your thoughts, not my normal sphere !
    Regards
    Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Red Army Star Cockarde   Red Army Star Cockarde  

Red Army Star Cockarde  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Red Army Star Cockarde
    P
    Many

100% A-OK Paul.

It's a nice one!
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Thanks Ritchie .The badge originates from a german household, so possibly taken as a souvenir 41/42, if that is truly the case, the battles this badge might have been in the vicinity of, makes you wonder ...if it could talk eh ?
    I'm assuming by it's size, that maybe it was for use on a side cap ?
    Regards
    Paul

Paul,

I've acquired many of these stars from German sellers. They were indeed a very popular souvenir for German soldiers.

American soldiers as well. I've found quite a few over the years in veteran lots.

This size was used on almost every type of Soviet soft headgear.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Thank you for your help Ritchie it is very much appreciated
    Regards
    Paul

That's a nice example Paul. Apart from the fact that these are "of a period" to me these are so much more attractive than the late style aluminium types.

Here's one for comparison that I have had for almost 30 years. I found it in Berlin though I don't recall exactly where.

It is larger than yours at 45mm so most likely from the Ushanka or Schapka and has a clumsy but very old repair to the prongs.

Red Army Star CockardeRed Army Star Cockarde

Regards

Mark

PS I forgot to mention that it is also magnetic.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 03-10-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: PS
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

That's a nice example Mark, the repair adds interest & reminds us that times were hard & non essentials had to be repaired. I read a lot of books about the whole era & wanted to get something that represented the Red Army, hence this badge possibly a veteran of those 1941 battles, but also represents the tenacity of the Red Army to fight all the way through to Berlin & beyond.
    Regards
    Paul

Indeed, no way to just nip off to the QM for an exchange like today and I suppose if you were without, it might mean more than just being improperly dressed, it could perhaps be seen that you were failing to display your alligience to the "boss", "disrespectful" and not a true adherant!

Yes, these really do have a feeling of the period and the repair gives weight to that if not value for being mint. Patina of use I suppose.
    Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 03-10-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

You read my mind exactly Mark....in the old days, things were repaired, I think that this realisation has been lost with today's generation. The owners of these cap badges experienced total despair then were able to turn it around, incredible !
    Paul