Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet Cap Star Identification Challenge!

Article about: Hello all, I have recently bought a lot of battlefield-recovered Soviet cap stars from Estonia. These appear to be the style worn on the side cap and peaked cap but I would love to know thei

Default Soviet Cap Star Identification Challenge!

Hello all,

I have recently bought a lot of battlefield-recovered Soviet cap stars from Estonia. These appear to be the style worn on the side cap and peaked cap but I would love to know their periods of the pieces I have. I am certain that most must from the 1930s and 1940s and feel that one is perhaps post war but I really have no idea as Soviet collectables are an entirely new field to me.

If any experts out there, (compared to me everyone is an expert) could help to identify the stars, I'd be very grateful.

The first two measure approximately 25mm and the others are slightly larger (there is a ruler in one photo to show scale)

Many thanks and best wishes,

Simon
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Cap Star Identification Challenge!   Soviet Cap Star Identification Challenge!  

Soviet Cap Star Identification Challenge!   Soviet Cap Star Identification Challenge!  

Soviet Cap Star Identification Challenge!   Soviet Cap Star Identification Challenge!  

Soviet Cap Star Identification Challenge!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Cap Star Identification Challenge!
    P
    Many

Hello Simon

Not an expert myself, but if you are sure of the provenance and timeframe, I believe that narrows the identification to the M36 and M39 patterns. Until someone from the "big guns" gives you a detailed reply, you may find it useful to consult the following threads on this forum:

BASIC Star-cockarde Guide

Cap Star Cockardes

Hi Lancier,

Many thanks for your reply. I have had a look at the two threads you suggested, which were quite helpful.

I believe that the first two stars (shown in first four photos) are the 22mm version of the M1936 star and the larger of the stars in photos 5-8 are the 31mm version of the M1936 peaked cap star.

I have no idea about the all brass star with the two stitching holes in the front and the 22mm one in better condition. I have a feeling that this one is later, maybe M1947.

Hopefully someone out there might set me straight soon!

Best,

Simon

The 22MM with the two holes is a wartime pattern, and if I remember correctly it is allegedly US made for Lend-Lease.

In my opinion, it is a Soviet made "simplified" type.

The one to the left of it seems to be the 1953 pattern 22MM pilotka star.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Hi Richie,

Many thanks for your help. It's very much appreciated. Something about the feel of the other star (on the left) made me feel it was post war - it's much lighter than the others.

I attach a photo of my cube display showing the two M1936 22mm Pilotka stars along with some of the other relics I have from the Eastern Front: a Red Army Guards Badge, a Soviet Gymnastyorka tunic button, a Wehrmacht cap eagle, German frostbite tube and an (inert) German Volkshandgranate 45 recovered in the Halbe Forest.

Best wishes,

Simon
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Cap Star Identification Challenge!   Soviet Cap Star Identification Challenge!