Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Telogreika with shoulder boards?

Article about: Hi guys, got a doozy for ya. This coat looks like it has been through hell and back. There are many patches, inside and out. The buttons look replaced, but one is marked with a crown then a

Default Telogreika with shoulder boards?

Hi guys, got a doozy for ya. This coat looks like it has been through hell and back. There are many patches, inside and out. The buttons look replaced, but one is marked with a crown then a c then 42. The sleeve buttons are different, with russian writing. The jacket is heavy, with a beachy sandy yellowy look....makes sens? The liner is a faded blue color, and the coat does have an inner pocket. I know this is a red flag....ha....get it....red flag. Anyway, lets just keep going. Inside the linner looks like someone was shot with a paint ball. An entrance wound is on the back, and goes inbto the inside pocket. The back is patched where the hole was. I am not a csi guy, and to me it looks like paint.....but what do I know?

I checked for markings and found nothing....until.....I removed a patch from inside the jacket, and holly crap...there it was. It is faint, and I can't read it worth a crap. I attached pictures of the marks, one looks like it says copi......another red flag, or am I seeing things. There are 2 marks, one small square one with to lines of writing. To the left of this mark is a bigger mark. This has a hole next to it, which explains the patch over it. There are numbers on top looks like 19 11 41 or 47, you tell me. I have taken numerous pics, but if anything else is needed, please tell me.

So let me know if I have the worlds greatest fake...oh yeah.....the shoulder boards. I think either added on after war? Anyway, take an honest look and let me know what you people think. I know nothing about russian militaria, except the basics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Telogreika with shoulder boards?   Telogreika with shoulder boards?  

Telogreika with shoulder boards?   Telogreika with shoulder boards?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Telogreika with shoulder boards?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Telogreika with shoulder boards?

It looks like a nice used, but post war issue telog. I have tried converting the pic to negative but it is still hard to read.

"Copt" means Grade in Russian.

Not blood but paint. Maybe added for film use?

Pogoni (shoulderboards) were really only added by NCO's and Officers. Very limited use by other ranks.

Cheers, Ade.

What leads you to think its post war? The pocket, construction? I also thought movie prop, but too much effort was put into this to be a prop. Also, does the stamp say 41 or 47, and are these date marks or something else. And if post war, where would it have gotten such heavy use?

It is the construction which leads me to think post war. It could be 1950's. I cannot read the date, so I would only be guessing on that, which is unfair. Have you seen some of the previous discussions on these? Some good info there on construction.

The heavy used could simply come from field use: this could be compounded by use as a film prop. The Soviet film industry used mainly original items and they did not make much from scratch. This is an original item, no question.

Cheers, Ade.

What is wrong with the construction? The early ones had both collars, up and down. Belts were used, and not. Shoulder boards could be worn by any rank around 1943. I have even seen many button configurations, including the ones on my telo. If it was a movie prop, why blood on inside? Also why would they put patches over the holes, and a stamp mark under the patch? What would be written on the internal stamp? I see a 19 then a C then 41 or 47. Ill try taking more pics of the stamps. Im just confused as to why this telo looks like this. Even the originals don't have as much wear on them. Im still not conviced its post war, yet.

Trying to second guess why something was or was not done is difficult. I can only reply to say that film items were used and reused again and again. For instance, you need a shot of a jacket being taken off a wounded man, so the inside needs to show blood. The jacket then is repaired and put back into the stores ready for use again in the future. All speculation of course! But I have been involved with living history for 30 years and we do this kind of thing.

Shoulderboards were not universally worn by other ranks on these jackets, like I said before, it can be seen, but this is more the exception than the rule.

Wartime jackets are hard to find. They just got used up. Either way, this is a good jacket with a lot of character.

I saw your second thread re the stamps.

Cheers, Ade.

wouldnt they wash the paint off then? Also, why would they put blood in the opposite arm pit, this would never be viewed by anyone. Also, what do the shoulder boards refer to, i heard artillery? In 1943 all ranks were permited to wear them. All this is moot because I was told if jacket has acceptance mark its post war. If this is true i accept post war status. I will continue my research. I just wonder how a post war jacket looks more used than a war time one. Mostly all of them posted look like they never saw combat, or any kind of abuse other than missing buttons. I would expect to see many repairs on these, or at least one. Anyway, i will accept post war verdict based on the acceptance stamp. Very interesting topic i must admit.

The Pogoni are for Engineers.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The Pogoni are for Engineers.

Cheers, Ade.
    ...and they are unused postwar/early 50s type surplus that have not been affixed to this coat for over half a century.

In any case, and as Ade has written, this piece has a nice & salty character.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

I like the piece, not really a soviet collector. I loved learning about this coat, how can you tell its from the fifties, not like 46 or so on? What if the stuffing is cotton, does that still run into the fifties? Oh yeah, I know the boards are add ons and are the buttons, since unissued I assume it was from a previous owner who wanted to better the displayability, or maybe added on in a Russian movue about an engineer who gets shot, had to be a close-up..... Just kidding. Its been a great research project, think I po'd some people? Ive gotten some great answers, but many questions remain that need serious research. First off a reference to the acceptance marks is strongly needed, if possible. All in all I think there is a set standard with any variations being deemed dubious, so more research is needed in this field. Everyone must agree with that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast