Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Uniform or Civvies?

Article about: Hi Guys, Pardon my ignorance, but is this man's attire a Russian/Soviet era military uniform of some sort or just ordinary Soviet era civilian dress? The newspaper is dated November 1, 1925.

Paul Giva
    ?

Default Uniform or Civvies?

Hi Guys,

Pardon my ignorance, but is this man's attire a Russian/Soviet era military uniform of some sort or just ordinary Soviet era civilian dress? The newspaper is dated November 1, 1925. Location is possibly the Caucasus countries or Ukraine. Or, perhaps, Russia itself.

Thank you for any insight.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniform or Civvies?  

2. # ADS

CMc
    ?

Default Re: Uniform or Civvies?

I'd have thought it's the uniform of something, if he's not military he might be part of some sort of communist party organisation or something of that nature. The cut of his trousers, the high boots (those are high boots aren't they?) and the fact that he seems to be wearing a tie with that tunic might suggest an officer? Too bad whatever sort of cap he would've worn with that uniform isn't present or it might have offered a further clue.

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum, nice to see you here!

It is not a uniform I recogise. So I am going with Civvies.

Cheers, Ade.

It might be a local uniform for the militia (civil police), or some sort of factory guard. I do not believe this is any sort of military uniform, but it seems a bit to "uniform" to be straight civilian clothing.

Boridin

Paul Giva
    ?

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond, gentlemen. It is greatly appreciated. And thanks for the welcome, Ade! Happy to be aboard.

If it is of any use, I am also attaching another photograph, which appears to show a man in the same dress. Or, at least, something of a similar sort.

The other photograph I am attaching is one of my 2nd great-uncle (seated), and my half great-uncle. The other two men, I suspect, are relatives as well, but I have thus far failed to find the connection. Hence my curiosity regarding the possible uniform. Anything to go by, to try and identify them, would be of great help.

Thank you again for your assistance, and happy to join you fellas here, on this fine board.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniform or Civvies?   Uniform or Civvies?  

Does look like some sort of local malitia to me, although the first photo i think is just an ordinary uniform of the day. soviet children at school all the way till 1960 wore a military style uniform. Uniform doesn't look like an officer although i see the cavalry pattern there, possibly a conscript or a cossack. Tie puts me off for some reason for any military connection. I dont think they wore ties in the russian army of that era.