Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Victory Parade Uniforms - PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Article about: by rhombus Does anyone know the piping color for the Intelligence branch, and also the branch that a War Correspondent would be in? (I am clearly hopeless when it comes to knowledge of Milit

Default Re: Victory Parade Uniforms - PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Quote by rhombus View Post
    Does anyone know the piping color for the Intelligence branch, and also the branch that a War Correspondent would be in? (I am clearly hopeless when it comes to knowledge of Military!)
    Rhombus,

I donĀ“t know the branch of a correspondent, but if it helps here is an impression of a WWII war correspondent of the newspaper Krasnaya Zvezda (The Red Star) in Berlin in 1945, with a FED "NKVD" camera.

If you want further info on correspondent/photographers, google the name Vasily Grossman (a Red Star correspondent ) and Yevgeny Khaldei, the photographer who made the famous Reichstag flag photos.

Regards,

Gus
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Victory Parade Uniforms - PLEASE HELP ME!!!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Victory Parade Uniforms - PLEASE HELP ME!!!
    P
    Many

Mel,

Perhaps you should provide some details about your characters and the theme of the second act that you need to create costumes for...
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

rhombus
    ?

OK! The play is called The Promise, written in 1965 by Aleksei Nicolaevich Arbuzov, its essentially a story of love and friendship set in the Soviet Union from 1942 - 1959. There are 3 characters, a girl Lika, and 2 men Marat and Leonidik. The first act is set in Leningrad in 1942, when each of the characters are about 15 or 16 years old, and are essentially alone, left to fend for themselves amongst the backdrop of wartime.

The second act (my problem act considering my terrible knowledge of the Soviet Military) is set in 1946. Lika is studying medicine. Leonidik returns "wearing the greatcoat of a Red Army private". He was a "frontline journalist for 3 years. But that would only be a stopgap. Because he's brought home a suitcase full of poems...I was with the shock troops for the first year. In the teeth of the war." Leonidik also has lost his arm, in the last week of the war.

Marat - "wears the dress uniform of a Guards captain". "Marat: What did you do? Leonidik: Infantry, Then war correspondent. You? Marat: Intelligence"

Marat has also earned the 'Hero of the Soviet Union'.
    This is all of the information the play gives in regards to the status of the Men. The director and I have decided that the Men will wear their uniforms for the entire second act and it is important for me that they are accurate, since they will be so prominent.

The 3rd Act is set in 1959, Leonidik and Lika are married, but Lika's heart is with Marat. On New Year's Eve 1959, Leonidik leaves Lika to allow his good friend Marat to love her.

The play is amazing, and I'm really enjoying learning about the styles of the Soviet Union.
    I hope that gives you more of an idea of what I am looking for.
    Again thank you everyone for all of your ideas and suggestions! This is a great forum!
    MelP

rhombus
    ?

I also love the image of the war correspondent, his jacket is amazing!
    Thanks Gus!

So, I think that your Leonidik is not necessarily a "private" as you assumed. I would go with what Dimas wrote about him probably being an NCO or an officer... So, the photo that Gus has supplied I think is accurate, even with the leather coat. He could also have worn an officer's wool "greatcoat", of the the type of which I can show tomorrow - and mine is even dated 1946 and may be good to base your costume upon...

As for Marat* - I think you can get away with a Kitel (service dress tunic) for Infantry - Again, I think I just may have a good example of one for you to base your costume on - Mine is (occupied) German made, and adorns the 1943 - 46 regulation shoulder-boards. As with the former, I can show it tomorrow when I get some natural light to photograph it.

Breeches, boots, belts & etc are easy so we can get to that later...

*However, concerning Marat; I am still really curious as to what "he" meant by "intelligence". "Reconnaissance", as Dimas assumes? Or, NKVD/NKGB? Does he give further references/experiences/hints in any other part of the play as to what his job was during the war?

Hi,
    A little late (I did not have time to take photos before because a lot of work).
    Here are the photos of my "Mundir" a Podpolkovnik the NKVD.
    If these pictures can help you.

Regards.
    Philippe

Quote by RichieC View Post
    I can show it tomorrow when I get some natural light to photograph it.
    Sorry fellas, it has been raining/drizzling nonstop here the past two days - so outdoor photos are out. The next opportunity I will have is Sunday.

Stand by...

Again: Mel, Does Marat give further references/experiences/hints in any other part of the play as to what his job was during the war?

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Victory Parade Uniforms - PLEASE HELP ME!!!   Victory Parade Uniforms - PLEASE HELP ME!!!  

Victory Parade Uniforms - PLEASE HELP ME!!!   Victory Parade Uniforms - PLEASE HELP ME!!!  

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Victory Parade Uniforms - PLEASE HELP ME!!!   Victory Parade Uniforms - PLEASE HELP ME!!!  

Victory Parade Uniforms - PLEASE HELP ME!!!   Victory Parade Uniforms - PLEASE HELP ME!!!  

?

Quote by RichieC View Post
    Hi Richie, you close the coat to the woman's side
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast