Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

What's your opinion about this tunic?

Article about: Hi! Yesterday I saw this tunic on ebay. Really strange construction, in my opinion not good but.. It seems quite old and has some interesting features. I also appreciate the lack of markings

Default What's your opinion about this tunic?

Hi!

Yesterday I saw this tunic on ebay. Really strange construction, in my opinion not good but.. It seems quite old and has some interesting features. I also appreciate the lack of markings (instead of the presence of questionable ones).
    I would be grateful to hear your expert opinion about it

Warm regards
    Gabriele
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What's your opinion about this tunic?   What's your opinion about this tunic?  

What's your opinion about this tunic?   What's your opinion about this tunic?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What's your opinion about this tunic?
    P
    Many

?

I think that many Soviet gymnasterkas started life as something different. There are any number of period shirts of this cut that would have taken little modification to loosely fit RKKA regulations (German, Italian, British; they could all end up in Soviet hands through capture or lend lease). Look at the pockets, cuffs and collar in the picture below - who knows where that gym came from...

What's your opinion about this tunic?

I'm no expert on post war work tunics but that's also a possibility. I suppose the point I'm making is it doesn't look completely wrong!

Thank you Boycie, the aspect you have highlighted is very interesting (really nice picture also!).
    The tunic looks like a "patchwork" indeed. What concerns me the most is the seam on the back, corresponding with that strange blue fabric patch, but who knows...

In the end, I've managed to buy this tunic, along with a pair of 1943 dated trousers (really worn out).
    I received the package today (VE day, what a coincidence!).
    I'll post more pictures in the following days, I hope you'll enjoy them

Best regards

Gabriele

Quote by Gabriele View Post
    Hi!

Yesterday I saw this tunic on ebay. Really strange construction, in my opinion not good but.. It seems quite old and has some interesting features. I also appreciate the lack of markings (instead of the presence of questionable ones).
    I would be grateful to hear your expert opinion about it

Warm regards
    Gabriele
    Actualy it is italian tropical shirt not soviet field jacket.

I'm italian and i've never seen an italian tropical shirt like this XD
    May i ask you what is your opinion based on?

Best regards
    Gabriele

The pattern on the back ( upper part ) is very typical for saharian type uniforms and atypical for soviet field jacket ( had an M29 and many M35 or M35/41 jackets and none of them had such cut ).

Also whole cut of it doesn't look like any soviet field jackets.

I think it's a wartime used tunic that was worn well after war's end and continuously repaired and modified to remain, well, "wearable" as long as possible.

There was quite the clothing shortage after the war and a lot of military garb continued to be worn in the fields, the factories and etc.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!