Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

1870 Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse, Type A Core, Wide Frame

Article about: Here is a new addition to my Imperial EK collection. I have been looking for a nice example of one of these for quite some time now. These are not commonly seen for sale, nor are they cheap.

Default 1870 Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse, Type A Core, Wide Frame

Here is a new addition to my Imperial EK collection. I have been looking for a nice example of one of these for quite some time now. These are not commonly seen for sale, nor are they cheap.
    Still looking for a set of 25 year oaks in some form or another.
    Ralph.

1870 Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse, Type A Core, Wide Frame1870 Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse, Type A Core, Wide Frame
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1870 Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse, Type A Core, Wide Frame
    P
    Many

Hi Ralph,
    Congratulations on your first 1870.
    That is a very nice looking cross.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Hi Ralph,
    Congratulations on your first 1870.
    That is a very nice looking cross.
    Thanks Greg!
    Thanks for the help as well!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Nice addition to any collection. I have one of these and I have been told it is a jubilee version. I really don't know much about these. Can you tell me what was the point of the 25 year oak leaf? Did everyone that got the 1870 EK get the 25 year oak leaf at the Jubilee? Thanks for any information.

Quote by kirby View Post
    Nice addition to any collection. I have one of these and I have been told it is a jubilee version. I really don't know much about these. Can you tell me what was the point of the 25 year oak leaf? Did everyone that got the 1870 EK get the 25 year oak leaf at the Jubilee? Thanks for any information.
    Thanks Kirby!
    As I am more of a TR collector, I can't answer that question. Might have to wait for Greg or some of the other Imperial gurus to help.
    Ralph.

Quote by kirby View Post
    Can you tell me what was the point of the 25 year oak leaf? Did everyone that got the 1870 EK get the 25 year oak leaf at the Jubilee? Thanks for any information.
    I believe the right to wear 25 year oakleaf or "Jubiläumsspange" (jubilee clasp) was awarded (although it had to be purchased privately) to those still in service at the time of the jubilee.

I'm entirely sure but I think this means still in service having won the EK in 1870. Can anyone clarify further?

Regards

Mark

?

Thank for the reply. Still in service 25 years later seems like there would be very few who would receive the 25 year oak leaf. There must be another reason.

I am mostly a TR collector but I lucked into one of these.

Quote by kirby View Post
    Thank for the reply. Still in service 25 years later seems like there would be very few who would receive the 25 year oak leaf. There must be another reason.

I am mostly a TR collector but I lucked into one of these.
    I agree, it does seem like there would be very few but maybe that is the point?

Also, back then it was much more likely that an officer (and I don't think enlisted ranks really come into the question although it is theoretically possible) would have served that long. Consider an ensign or subaltern enlisting aged at 18 yrs (Paul von Hindenburg, a cadet from 1860, was 23 yrs in 1870 having been comissioned Lt in 1866) and serving into staff rank in his 60's . Consider also, how many of the senior officers of the German army in 1895 fell into this bracket. There would also have been reserve oficers that met the criteria and from my own experience of the german way of doing things I expect that post military civil or government service counted too (but I stand to be corrected here). Add on the fact that these were private purchase items and that there were not such tight controls as during the TR period and the current rarity of these pieces tends to give a context to the idea of how many ought to be around.

I expect that pinning down the precise criteria might be a bit of a research nightmare unless anyone here has a definitive answer.

Regards

Mark

Regards

Mark

?

Thanks for your reply. SOS is next month. The guy that wrote the book, I think it's called, Iron Time usually sets up. He should know for sure.

Thanks

Kirby

Yes, I know of the book "The Iron Time" by Stephen Previtera but I don't have a copy as the prices are really quite bizarre to say the least. On average in excess of $200 and up to $500, quite outrageous to my mind however good a book it might be (there are some really good ones that I do have but they focus on the TR EK) and not something I would encourage but if you see the man himself I would love to know what he says.

MArk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast