Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1872 Soldbuch

Article about: This is my oldest piece in my collection Found it at antique store about 8 years ago Cost me a whooping \\$2.00 US Can anybody give me some more info on what I have?

qm612
    ?

Default 1872 Soldbuch

This is my oldest piece in my collection
    Found it at antique store about 8 years ago
    Cost me a whooping $2.00 US
    Can anybody give me some more info on what I have?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1872 Soldbuch   1872 Soldbuch  

1872 Soldbuch   1872 Soldbuch  

Default Re: 1872 Soldbuch

qm612, what you have is a nice post (just!) Franco-Prussian war (1870-71) 'Militarpass' not a 'Soldbuch' (two seperate books), 'Militarpass' was a record of a soldiers military career, a soldier was issued with this book on enlistment and when entering service it was exchanged for his 'Soldbuch' (record of pay book), the 'Militarpass' was kept in the regiments depot (their was too much sensitive information contained in the pass if captured by the enemy) and would be passed from depot to depot if transfered to another unit. The 'Militarpass' was returned to the soldier when he was discharged from military service, in civilian life it was used, as we today would a C.V. for jobs,etc. In contrast the soldiers 'Soldbuch' was carried upon himself at all times, even in combat, as the information contained therein was non-sensitive. This particular 'Militarpass' was issued to a Garde-Fusilier in 1872 a member of the 'Garde-Fusilier-Regt (Berlin) Garde-Korps', an elite Prussian regiment within the newly formed Imperial German army. In 1871 all the Kingdoms, Duchies, Principalities, and states of the German lands (Prussia,Bavaria,Saxony etc..) came together to be unified as one country 'Germany'. Your pass is written in the old German script known as 'SUETTERLIN' and is very difficult to read ! nevermind translate !
    Last edited by oradour; 05-26-2010 at 04:58 PM.

qm612, photo of one of my WW1 period 'Militarpass' and 'Solbuch's, notice how scruffy the soldbuch looks as to the condition of the militarpass, this is the norm, the pass is kept filed away in the regimental depot, while the soldbuch stayed with soldier in the trenches !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1872 Soldbuch  

qm612
    ?

Thanks for the info. Could you give me a ballpark value.
    I could not pass it up for only $2.00

qm612, $2 an absolute bargain !... WW1 period pass or solbuch are not expensive (unlike their Third Reich counterparts !)....around $20 or so, but this one must be more, as it from a premier regiment and its age, i'll take a guess, $50+.

qm612
    ?