Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

1914 iron cross

Article about: by KSH Very old thread this I came over just now, but I disagree with all posters to such an extent that I feel I have to speak my mind here regarding the EK that started this thread. It is

?

Default Re: 1914 iron cross

Quote by KSH View Post
    Very old thread this I came over just now, but I disagree with all posters to such an extent that I feel I have to speak my mind here regarding the EK that started this thread. It is utterly inappropriate to treat a 'CD 800' marked cross probably made by Carl Dillenius out of Pforzheim as a generic standard 1914 EKII - it is not. This cross is perhaps the most finely constructed cross of all 1914 EKIIs and in my opinion only rivalled by the Godet made EKII. It is not one of the most common to find either. I will gladly pay € 65 for a Carl Dillenius in such nice condition any day. Even the very suspension ring of these crosses is of unusually high quality.

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth S-H.
    Innapropriate to buy a CD 800 for 45 euro? Im sticking to what I posted before. Even CD 800 EK2s can easily be found for under 50 euro. The members here who have posted in this thread have only intentions of saving a new collector money.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1914 iron cross
    P
    Many

Quote by leej11 View Post
    Innapropriate to buy a CD 800 for 45 euro? Im sticking to what I posted before. Even CD 800 EK2s can easily be found for under 50 euro. The members here who have posted in this thread have only intentions of saving a new collector money.
    im with you there lee
    pat (who started the thread) is 12 now i would assume you don't get that much money when your 12 and 65euro is rather a lot you can buy 1 for 65euro or you could get 2 "common" ones for just a little bit more......

KSH
    ?

Quote by leej11 View Post
    Your interrogative semantic antic aside - my sole intention was to offer a critique on the semi-automatic responses so frequently witnessed on online forums when the involved parties, depending on their own quick intuitive check-list-style approaches, do not in these dionysian moments of the mind find themselves capable of appreciating the more subtle and potentially defining circumstances that should apply. The fact that no one mentioned (or probably did not even recognize) the make and manufacture of the Eisernes Kreuz in question speaks volumes to this effect.

Quote by talltom View Post
    im with you there lee
    pat (who started the thread) is 12 now i would assume you don't get that much money when your 12 and 65euro is rather a lot you can buy 1 for 65euro or you could get 2 "common" ones for just a little bit more......
    While your post might be construed as a fine example of practical wisdom, Tom, it has no viable relevance in relation to my argumentation and its designated purpose.

I have made my points known and I have contributed all that I shall contribute to this thread of yore.

I wish you all an excellent evening (at least in my time-zone it is so).

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth S-H.
    Last edited by KSH; 12-20-2011 at 06:39 PM.

?

I didint buy the EKII, But what I did do was buy Steves EKII a while back.

Its an asmann (I think thats how its spelt)

1914 iron cross1914 iron cross

Cheers,
    Patrick

Nice one Patrick.

I remember my first WWI EKII. It was marked 'FW' and cost
    me $20 back in 1976 or 1977. At that time I thought
    they were all maker marked.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Nice one Patrick I think an Assman is a great start. You have one I have never owned.

?

Quote by KSH View Post
    Your interrogative semantic antic aside - my sole intention was to offer a critique on the semi-automatic responses so frequently witnessed on online forums when the involved parties, depending on their own quick intuitive check-list-style approaches, do not in these dionysian moments of the mind find themselves capable of appreciating the more subtle and potentially defining circumstances that should apply. The fact that no one mentioned (or probably did not even recognize) the make and manufacture of the Eisernes Kreuz in question speaks volumes to this effect.

While your post might be construed as a fine example of practical wisdom, Tom, it has no viable relevance in relation to my argumentation and its designated purpose.

I have made my points known and I have contributed all that I shall contribute to this thread of yore.

I wish you all an excellent evening (at least in my time-zone it is so).

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth S-H.
    That was a foolish assumption. You actually thought no one in this thread knew it was a CD 800? I have a Godet EK2 I wouldnt sell for 65 euro and Im a dealer!
    The maker of this cross was never up for discussion. Patrick only wanted to know if it was worth 65 euro and he got our oppinion.

?

There are many differing opinions on how collectors should go about amassing their chosen items. However, it is each to their own. No member can tell another how to spend their money, advise sure but if the person shooses to ignore any advice or indeed take it, it's their decision.
    There is no doubting the quality of CD800 crosses and the prices for them vary depending where you look. As I said previously, I limit myself to €45 when bidding on eBay and have picked up some fine crosses. My own CD800 cost me €50 in a private sale and it is mounted on a trifold ribbon.
    I aim to collect a marked example from each maker and I know I will have to pay over the odds to obtain a rare and elusive maker.
    My advice therefore is if you just want an Imperial EK2 and don't have a focused collection, shop around and get your representative example at a price you're happy with.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I have a historical question ... is assumed that at the end of the First World War, the Weimar Republic was established ... that the iron crosses of the first war with the "W" in the center, if one assumes that was the German Empire which fought? the Weimar Republic was a consequence of the end of the war and the Treaty of Versailles ... thanks in advance

The very first iron Crosses (1813) were marked FW
    for Fredrich Wilhelm III.

When the iron cross was reinstated in 1870 by
    King Wilhelm I. The cross was changed to have his initial
    in the front center and the FW was kept to honor Fredrich
    Wilheml but was moved to the back of the cross.

Hitler did not want anything to do with "Imperial" Germany
    and redesigned the cross with out any references to the past
    except to keep the 1813 date on the reverse. He also had the
    cross made larger. (small man--big ego)
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast