Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

21 WW1 German dead discovered in a tunnel in Eastern France.

Article about: Hi Guys, I don't know if this has already been covered here, so please forgive me if it has! The bodies of 21 WW1 German soldiers have been discovered by road builders in Carspach, Eastern F

Default 21 WW1 German dead discovered in a tunnel in Eastern France.

Hi Guys,

I don't know if this has already been covered here, so please forgive me if it has!

The bodies of 21 WW1 German soldiers have been discovered by road builders in Carspach, Eastern France. They were apparently killed by a 'large shell' in March 1918. I have looked into this a bit more, and the clever money is saying it was in fact a French aerial mine, whatever.

The Germans recovered 18 bodies at the time, but further digging was considered too dangerous due to the unsafe condition of the ground. All the dead are commemorated on a nearby memorial. Archaeologists have identified all 21 soldiers, but little hope is held out for finding all the families today.

This news has barely hit the radar in German newspaper circles, being almost hidden in the inner pages of the few that have reported it. I find this rather sad, as if it were British or Commonwealth soldiers it would have been major news over here (a bit like the Aussies found last year on the edge of a wood in Fromelles.) I wonder if this is due to a collective guilt, or just a modern desire to forget their past and move on, I don't know, but it's sad.

Anyway, here's the article of which some called the findings unearthed the 'Pompeii of WW2', fascinating.

Bodies of 21 German soldiers buried alive in WW1 trench found perfectly preserved 94 years later | Mail Online

"Summer grasses- all that is left of the dreams of soldiers."

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Default Re: 21 WW1 German dead discovered in a tunnel in Eastern France.

Big Ned a good thread thanks for posting it!!! Terry

Thanks for posting. The article states 'It is estimated that over 165,000 Commonwealth soldiers are still unaccounted for on the Western Front.' -That's pretty staggering.

Mat

?

Ned thanks for posting this. What a interesting story. Gary