Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a 98/05 Bayonet?

Article about: My father in law has some bayonets and I am trying to find out about this particular one. The info I've collected so far that this bayonet is a Seitengewehr 98/05. German stat of issue are P

edwardnigma
    ?

Default Is this a 98/05 Bayonet?

My father in law has some bayonets and I am trying to find out about this particular one. The info I've collected so far that this bayonet is a Seitengewehr 98/05. German stat of issue are Prussia and Wurttemberg. The date of acceptance is 1915. The bayonet is 19 1/2 inches long from end to end. But I do not know what "RG" stands for on the spine of the blade. Is this correct? Here are the pics. Also what would be the value of this bayonet?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a 98/05 Bayonet?   Is this a 98/05 Bayonet?  

Is this a 98/05 Bayonet?  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Is this a 98/05 Bayonet?

Welcome to the Forum.

That certainly is an S 98-05 you have there.

It is the earlier model which was phased out in 1915 - you can tell the earlier models as they have more prounced muzzle ring "ears"

RC - is thought by some to represent Revisions Controlle - an additional inspection stamp - possibly a secondary inspection for bayonets rejected during the initial inspection process. Commonly found on Simson bayonets but also occasionally on other items.

Does it have a flashguard - made of metal and fixed on the same side of the hilt as the attachment slot ?

Value - without a scabbard - not a great amount I'm afraid - I tend to look at eBay for current values.

Hope that helps a little.

Regards

Richie

edwardnigma
    ?

There is a scabbard and it is in good condition. I've uploaded pics of it and one of the flash guard?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a 98/05 Bayonet?   Is this a 98/05 Bayonet?  

Is this a 98/05 Bayonet?  

The nickname for this is (butcher bayonet) they go for 125$ to 250$ depending on the saler and the condition ,thoses with the sawback go up to 500$.