Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Any tips for purchasing a ww1 "butcher" bayonet?

Article about: Ah I see. I have failed at attempting to win the desired re-issued one, but there is a nice Anker-werke Bielefeld by the same seller. I will try to get this pup

Default Any tips for purchasing a ww1 "butcher" bayonet?

Hello, Julekpl again. I am interested in purchasing a ww1 butcher bayonet, but I'm not too sure how to tell if one maker is more rare than another. I know the ones with the saw back are worth far more, and of course the condition. Any information helps! Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Any tips for purchasing a ww1 "butcher" bayonet?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Any tips for purchasing a ww1 "butcher" bayonet?

There is a list out there that rates how rare certain makers are. But IMO, just get a nice sawback with a maker and date on it. Preferably with some patina on it and no post war polishing or sharpening.

?

I believe factory saw backs should have 29 teeth

?

There are some very good informative sites on the web.....searching 98/05 will usually yield more results than just using butcher.

A good site here.
    GERMAN 98/05 VARIATIONS

Good luck,
    John

Thank you all for the tips. At the moment, I cannot afford a 98/05 sawback, but I found this one a bit interesting. It's supposedly a re-issued 98/05, supposedly used for the police during ww2...at least that's what the owner said. Here are some pictures. Any thoughts? Any tips for purchasing a ww1 "butcher" bayonet?Any tips for purchasing a ww1 "butcher" bayonet?Any tips for purchasing a ww1 "butcher" bayonet?Any tips for purchasing a ww1 "butcher" bayonet?Any tips for purchasing a ww1 "butcher" bayonet?

I too have been looking at butcher sawbacks, you have what I am 98% sure is a authentic blade.
    It is marked as being accepted into Imperial service in 1915.
    It looks like it was made in Solingen and I think I recognize the company as a legitimate manufacturer.
    The frog also is stamped; although, I am not sure what "jkh 44" refers to.
    You did not post pictures of the scabbord, but it should also be marked, I believe, given the 1915 acceptance date.

I think I have seen this bayonet on one of the auction sites.
    I have noticed that fine condition bayonets are running in the $300.00 range; but, I did notice that there was one that was very nice that went for $182.00.

Overall, I'd saw if you are looking for a sawback, this is a desireable one.

Richard

Thanks siegersallee. I have pictures of stamping on both the bayonet and the scabbard, and both have matching numbers too! I will try to get it Attachment 363394Attachment 363395

Hmmm...actually, I just looked at one of my frogs...and it was also marked "jhk 44" so that confirms the frog is also correct.
    I'd say: go for it. Good Luck.

The frog on the example above is indeed from WWII ( 1944 )
    - 'jkh' being the makers code. I'd want a WWI frog, though
    it looks like a good bayonet with matching numbers.

I also recognise the seller by the photos - he seems to have
    an endless supply of very nice bayonets and swords, so you
    should be ok with this guy - although be prepared for
    reserve prices on his items.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I'm going to go for it. I have seen his other bayonets and knives as well. They all seem to be in very nice condition. Whoever this guy is, he has a wonderful collection. And I thank you all for helping me out of course!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast