MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Any tips for purchasing a ww1 "butcher" bayonet?

Article about: Ah I see. I have failed at attempting to win the desired re-issued one, but there is a nice Anker-werke Bielefeld by the same seller. I will try to get this pup

Default Re: Any tips for purchasing a ww1 "butcher" bayonet?

Ah I see. I have failed at attempting to win the desired re-issued one, but there is a nice Anker-werke Bielefeld by the same seller. I will try to get this pup

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Any tips for purchasing a ww1 "butcher" bayonet?
    P
    Many

Below are two of mine. No great shakes, but each was under $100.
    Condition was a factor, and they are also not the sawback type.
    They both have nice wood grips and came without scabbards
    but I managed to find a repainted one on it's own.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any tips for purchasing a ww1 "butcher" bayonet?   Any tips for purchasing a ww1 "butcher" bayonet?  

Any tips for purchasing a ww1 "butcher" bayonet?  
    Regards,

Steve.

Hey, Julekpl. Here's one you might want to look at. I've been having trouble posting pictures so here is the link. Stewarts Military Antiques - militaria, collectables, photography and books
    Good luck with your search.

Luke

?

I personally would get an early one with "long ears"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any tips for purchasing a ww1 "butcher" bayonet?  

These "Butcher" bayonets are now becoming quite expensive...the key as Steve states is condition, I would recommend buying the best you can.....prices will continue to rise...try this site Stewarts Military Antiques - militaria, collectables, photography and books he has one with sawback removed (quite common) at $165 complete with scabbard and frog......and I thought my sawback was dear a few years back at £90 !
    Here it is on the business end of my G98.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any tips for purchasing a ww1 "butcher" bayonet?  

?

Police reissues normally have "1920" stamped into the crossguard. I don't see any unit numbers in your photos, so I am not sure what you mean by matching numbers. If you are wanting a WWI 98/05 that was not altered in the postwar period, I would not buy a reissued version. Most WWI collectors I know see a "1920" pretty much the same as they see "S.A." on field gear, that is, uninteresting.

CCMJR

Quote by Richie B View Post
    The frog is certainly from WW2 - the S98/05 was still in use by Police troops.

Can't see anything distinctive on the bayonet to indicate police use - there are a number of pointers which show post WW1 use such as blueing, slotting of the grip bolts and push stud and application police property stamps.

JKH - the frog maker is Carl Busse, Fabrik fur Heeresausrustungen aus Stoff und Leder, Mainz.
    I have a question about this... what would be an appropriate frog for a re-used WW1 98/05 bayonet for let's say police? I have a V-notched piece and would like to give it a correct frog. Were the original WW1 frogs still in use, or were they replaced with third reich models?

Thanks!

?

When I posted a reworked 98/05 with Police unit marking I was told the frog would usually have matching markings. That would make it almost impossible to find a properly marked frog. If you can find a frog with a 1920's date of manufacture it should work but I'm no expert.

Actually, I have two pieces. One is marked '1920' and has no further Police unit markings. The other bayonet is only marked with '55', so is the scabbard.

I think any Imperial 98/05 frog will do, but maybe there's a difference between those and the brown ones from the 30's... I'm no expert either ;-)

?

Keep an eye on EBay. It took about a month but I got a nice frog a few years ago.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3