Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Austrian M17 Camo for Opinions

Article about: From what I've read and know the Austrians for the KUK used whatever they could to assemble their helmets. This one is an Australian Vet bring back but I'd wish to know more about it. It has

?

That was a question I was going to ask in the near future 'what books' so thank you for that information. I have seen that book online but it's time soon to stock up. I have a few but need more.

One of my camos has turned mauve under direct sunlight and it has nothing to do with reflection but if you look at it indoors it looks a dirty brown which I don't doubt was its original colour. Has to do with whoever is painting and what they do with the paint particularly if a primary colour has been added too, in this case the absorption of light has changed a colour.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Austrian M17 Camo for Opinions
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    I'd have the same concerns with Andy as to this one. The over painting of earlier flaked paint and the liner appears to be an aged repro, doesn't give me any confidence this is a 100 year old camo. The paint also lacks the sheen from decades of greasy hands and is quite matt which also leads me to think recent paint.
    It's not the paint that concerns me, not at all. It's obvious to me it didn't see a lot of action and was owned by one Vet until his recent passing.
    Most paints won't 'sheen' if it's not handled. It'll just flake off particularly as I'm yet to see some sort of binder within the paint, even more so with no primer or undercoat. Distemper / ochre applied to these was too only a temporary thing and they primarily survive today because of the wax applied post war and obviously some of them had linseed oil as a binder which will make ochre or distemper hard. The image below was one that obviously saw a lot of action and yet it's still has a matt patina, so that would only leave by deduction what paint was used.

I can see what you see with the liner but a lot of Austrian liners I've seen over the last few days seem to be of a same lack of patina, maybe it was the leather used.....(just taking a guess there)

Austrian M17 Camo for OpinionsAustrian M17 Camo for Opinions
    Last edited by olboy; 06-15-2019 at 10:30 AM.

You obviously want to believe in it. "most paints won't sheen if it's not handled". For goodness sake, it's a 100 year helmet that you have no idea where it's been or how many hands have handled it, despite the sales story. Retaining a healthy skepticism in this hobby is essential to avoid costly purchase mistakes. Good luck!, there are some good painters out there.

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    You obviously want to believe in it. "most paints won't sheen if it's not handled". For goodness sake, it's a 100 year helmet that you have no idea where it's been or how many hands have handled it, despite the sales story. Retaining a healthy skepticism in this hobby is essential to avoid costly purchase mistakes. Good luck!, there are some good painters out there.
    And I explained whom owned it previously and no it wasn't a sales pitch whether you believe it or not. And I also said I wasn't talking myself into it whether you believe that or not. It's only when I stated conjecture that you didn't believe. I don't have hobbies I have passions as I do this for a living.....collecting that is.
    Yes I welcome your opinion but equally mine should be valued.

?

It appears to me that the liner has been removed and reinstalled on this helmet, the rear area by the pin show scratches from the band, also the rear pin is not the correct "Thick" headed type. Not sure about the chin strap post on AH helmets, but the only time I've seen post like these on a German they were fake. Compare the post on this helmet to the one in the last photo in the set, they're not the same construction.

?

Hmm looks like a replaced liner unusual wear strange colours not one I would buy. Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2