Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

austro hungarian trench knife?

Article about: hello do anyone recognize this knife?this is the only photos i have .i think it is a interesting piece but maybe someine will tel me something more?

Default austro hungarian trench knife?

hello do anyone recognize this knife?this is the only photos i have .i think it is a interesting piece but maybe someine will tel me something more?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture austro hungarian trench knife?   austro hungarian trench knife?  

austro hungarian trench knife?   austro hungarian trench knife?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement austro hungarian trench knife?
    P
    Many

Give this a bump. Lance should take a look at this one.

I agree. If anyone would know, he would.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Default Dressy & useful.

Greetings all,

This is an interesting and well executed piece. Likely, an item created from a parts’ fusion of an Austro-Hungarian M1895 NCO’s dress (no mortise’s slot) Bayonet’s handle/pommel and too, the blade/scabbard from a Sturmmesser M1917 Trench Knife. As previously discussed in regards to similar period “fusion” pieces’ cases, this knife was likely the work of a professional artisan who could for a price, create a dressy yet, wholly useful in-the-field piece from damaged or salvaged parts obtained from original pieces.

In many cases and especially when promoted from the ranks, not every NCO/Junior Officer could actually obtain/afford arsenal made or privately purchased regulation patterned items from storefront’s retailers for their personal use. As such, there was room for various artisans to create and offer for sale pieces like the one posted. These types of items are not front line trench art, however like trench art; they do tend to vary significantly in quality based upon the abilities (or lack thereof) of their creators and too, the condition of the sourced/original materials.

My supposition would be, this knife was likely owned by an Austro-Hungarian NCO or junior officer, who wanted a side arm capable of carrying a troddle denoting their rank/position, yet also desired a fully-functional trench knife. Thusly, this knife possesses the ability to serve those two functions nicely. Thoughts complete….

Best,

V/r Lance

And very well explained. Certainly looks a sturdy no nonsense piece.

thank Yu for exhausting and very propably answer.Lance what do you think about the marking on the crossguard?
    what cn it means?
    regards

Default Possible rack accountability number or too, a personal idenifying mark.

Greetings Michal,

You are most welcome. My best guess (& that's all it is) is the letters/numbers on the crossguard are "rack" numbers, which would have been a form of maintaining equipment's accountability when issued out from an arms room in its previous life as an NCO's bayonet. The idea being, when it comes time to return the weapon to the issuing arms room, the crossguard's markings confirm it is the same item as originally issued out (maintained by the unit's armorer in the form of a hand receipt's paper trail). This keeps peers from ahem, "borrowing" others' equipage and attempting to turn it in as their own originally drawn item.

That said, with all of the "work" done on this piece, I'm surprised its artisan didn't polish it off (if it were indeed originally a rack's number). As such, it could very well be a personal identification marking put on by its owner (kind of like an American Army laundry's number used during WWII to mark clothing/equipment) so there was little doubt it was their property if it were lost and then, found.

Best,

V/r Lance

one more time big thanks Lance.
    if i will find something interetsin i will put it here for research
    regards!