Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Battle Damaged Hebel pattern flare pistol

Article about: by AMTG Ummm this is one of those classic times wher the question" we're you there" is appropriate Wrong again. Read my post above slowly (joke!). For some reason you are now imply

?

Default Re: Battle Damaged Hebel pattern flare pistol

Quote by AMTG View Post
    Ummm this is one of those classic times wher the question" we're you there" is appropriate

Wrong again.
    Read my post above slowly (joke!).
    For some reason you are now implying, that I cast doubt upon whether or not a hand stopped fragments from a grenade.
    Im not. I dont doubt that. Im just telling you, that what you saw, sure as s**t wasnt shrapnel. Pay attention.
    What you saw were fragments from a hand grenade - not 'shrapnel.'
    I believe you 100% when you claim, that a hand stopped some fragments from a hand grenade.
    But that does not change the fact, that Shrapnel went out with WWI. Its a way of piling metal on the enemy that has gone the way of the Dodo.
    Like so many others, you are using the archaic word 'shrapnel' as a generic term for every piece of metal from any kind of grenade no matter what the size.
    Many others do that too - that how ever does not make it right.
    Say it slowly: Fragments! Splinters!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Battle Damaged Hebel pattern flare pistol
    P
    Many

?

I know what you ment by asking "were you there?" though you obviously misunderstood my post.
    I was not with you when fragments damaged a hand, no.
    But as f having a hunch aborout the subject; I'd say yes...sort of.
    I participated in a trial in an undisclosed location. For obvious reasons, I cant tell of the results, but everything from hand grenades over firearms and certain other nasty projectile and fragmentation devices of the anti-personnel persuasion to grenade launchers were tested.
    Some against body armour and helmets to see how the KEVLAR performed.
    It was very interesting to see, how fragments from hand grenades performed on the fragmentation vests/body armour and the Kevlar helmets, which were hung on racks or puppets. I have the pics but wont post them all of them.
    Further more, on another tour we had a bloke killed. I had followed him all day and when we returned after a patrol, the troops got hit. The KIA went down from being hit by mortar fire. A fragment went through his kevlar helmet and lodged in his brain.
    So while I wasnt next to you on the training ground, believe me when I say, I was 'there'
    Here I am holding a fragmentation shield from the body armour, after all kinds of nasty projectiles and fragments from various grenades, firearms and anti-personnel weapons were fired/launched against it. Note dents and rips where a projectile caught the edge.

Fragmentation vest plate after being fired upon by hand grenades and projectiles from both firearms and anti-personnel devices.

Ohh BTW here is an interesting detail: AK projectile lodged in the armour of an APC
    Last edited by Scout; 05-01-2012 at 12:58 AM.

CBH
    ?

Shrapnel - 1 : a projectile that consists of a case provided with a powder charge and a large number of usually lead balls and that explode in flight 2 : bomb, mine or shell fragments ( Webster's dictionary ) Can we all just get along , I have a great piece of trench art made out of shrapnel , I'll try and post it tomorrow . It's WW1 so we can all agree it is shrapnel .
    Cheers Chris

?

Quote by CBH View Post
    Shrapnel - 1 : a projectile that consists of a case provided with a powder charge and a large number of usually lead balls and that explode in flight 2 : bomb, mine or shell fragments ( Webster's dictionary ) Can we all just get along , I have a great piece of trench art made out of shrapnel , I'll try and post it tomorrow . It's WW1 so we can all agree it is shrapnel .
    Cheers Chris
    Get along!? I think, we are getting along just dandy. Im just telling you that its fragments and not lieutenant Shrapnel's invention from 1803. I see no conflict in that and certainly not of Nancy Kerrigan-esque dimensions.

Ohh well, in order to try to bring this back on track: While I think the M1894 the best looking German flare gun by far, there is no doubt in my mind, which is the most handsome flare gun.
    In my book, its the Remington Mrk III Signal Pistol as previously mentioned.
    Here it is. Im sure Im in the minority when I say, Im like the looks of this old thing. I guess most want at least something a bit more contemporary I can live with that
    The brass and the long slender lines of this one really makes for a very good looking flare gun IMO

?

The Italian M1910. I like that too, but the Remington is still number one IMO.

?

Lovely flare gun with great history!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2