Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Bavarian Air Gunner Badge - an opinion or two would be gratefully be received

Article about: Good Evening / Morning I have yet another question....I certainly appreciate the knowledge that is out in the forum! I have found a Bavarian Air Gunner Badge in 800 Silver by Karl Pollath. (

Default Bavarian Air Gunner Badge - an opinion or two would be gratefully be received

Good Evening / Morning

I have yet another question....I certainly appreciate the knowledge that is out in the forum!

I have found a Bavarian Air Gunner Badge in 800 Silver by Karl Pollath. (Please forgive the lack of umlaut)

However on a trip to Kaiser's Bunker, he has this to say:

1. "Karl Pöllath" which are exceptionally high quality; and
    2. "Carl Poellath" which tend to be a somewhat lower quality and:
    3. 'The centers of Karl Pöllath examples are typically marked with a tiny but clear "KARLPÖLLATH SCHROBENHAUSEN SILBER" in three lines'.

This worries me.

While I believe (the books I ordered are obviously on a slow boat from Greenland - I would have said China, but they would probably arrive sooner - ordered from Amazon and they should arrive by the end of the month...) the obverse looks good IMHO, I am concerned about two things (Perhaps it should be more?)

1.The vent hole on the reverse. To me, this does not look to be high quality and,
    2. It has '800' instead of 'Silber'.

Any, and all input would be gratefully received.

It does come with a Helmut Weitze, COA - though it's not from his site.

Cheers

Note: POR..sounds just Bavarian Air Gunner Badge - an opinion or two would be gratefully be receivedBavarian Air Gunner Badge - an opinion or two would be gratefully be receivedBavarian Air Gunner Badge - an opinion or two would be gratefully be receiveda tad expensive...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bavarian Air Gunner Badge - an opinion or two would be gratefully be received
    P
    Many

Forgot the final picture....sorry

Bavarian Air Gunner Badge - an opinion or two would be gratefully be received

Both the pin/hinge unit has been clumsily re soldered and the catch is a completely non original homemade replacement one. That's enough to put me off besides the other issues you mention. IMO it's not worth taking the chance on it, it's just not right.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Just noticed the bird appears to be pressed into the badge and not a separate piece. Looking at known original Pollath/Poellath the bird is a separate piece that's affixed later. Also the reverse on originals has a sunburst pattern and is not just plain as the one above is.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for the feedback Ned. Totally agree with the soldering - wasn't aware that it was an incorrect catch though.

I have attached a couple of images from a badge that Robert Pandis indicates is original - it has a plain reverse and 800 instead of 'Silber'. However the detail on the obverse is a lot more defined than the one I originally posted - I had thought the lack of detail was from wear, but not entirely convinced now.

Think I may wait until the books arrive...(Sigh)

Again - thanks.

Cheers
    Tim

Bavarian Air Gunner Badge - an opinion or two would be gratefully be receivedBavarian Air Gunner Badge - an opinion or two would be gratefully be received