Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Bavarian Chevauleger or Schwere Reiter Officer Helmet Set

Article about: Hello, I was very fortunate to find this a year-and-a half ago. It's a wonderful Pickelhaube ensemble for a Bavarian Reserve Officer of Chevauleger Regiment 2,4,6,8, or Schwere Reiter Regime

Default Bavarian Chevauleger or Schwere Reiter Officer Helmet Set

Hello,

I was very fortunate to find this a year-and-a half ago. It's a wonderful Pickelhaube ensemble for a Bavarian Reserve Officer of Chevauleger Regiment 2,4,6,8, or Schwere Reiter Regiment 1.

The person I acquired it from has had it stored in the carry case for the past 30+ years. When I opened the carry case, it felt like I was stepping back into a "time machine" so as to say.

It's not often that one comes across a set like this, complete with the spike, trichter and parade bush, and the field cover all together in the carry case.

It's a shame that someone long ago cut the straps that connect the spike portion of the field cover to the helmet body cover portion. At least it's all there, and the straps are there, albeit cut as they are.

All the Best,

Alan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bavarian Chevauleger or Schwere Reiter Officer Helmet Set   Bavarian Chevauleger or Schwere Reiter Officer Helmet Set  

Bavarian Chevauleger or Schwere Reiter Officer Helmet Set   Bavarian Chevauleger or Schwere Reiter Officer Helmet Set  

Bavarian Chevauleger or Schwere Reiter Officer Helmet Set   Bavarian Chevauleger or Schwere Reiter Officer Helmet Set  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bavarian Chevauleger or Schwere Reiter Officer Helmet Set
    P
    Many

Superb haube! And with all it's accessories, no less! Nice to see!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

A beautiful set in amazing condition, apart from the cut spike cover straps. But that can be overlooked in my personal opinion. Thanks for sharing this set with us.

Hummel

?

That's an excellent addition to your collection! Congratulations!

Adler

Magnificent! Looks practically unworn.

?

Is it possible the straps were cut on the cover in 1915, when they were ordered to remove the spikes?

Thanks for all your nice comments gentlemen, I appreciate it!

By member aicusv: Is it possible the straps were cut on the cover in 1915, when they were ordered to remove the spikes?
    That's a good guess, but I doubt it happened then, as I believe that applied to the enlisted men, and not the officers. If this officer wore the cover without the spike, he would have had a bright & shiny 2" tall silver knob spike base still sticking out from his cover.

My best guess is the straps got cut during "kid play" with the helmet when this came back to the USA as a souvenir. It's a shame, as the cover is very nice, other than the cut straps.

Best Regards,

Alan

that's a truly beautiful Haube.what a find.

?

It is a great set