Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bayern Pickelhaube

Article about: Hi Guys, What do you make of this one. Firstly is it ok and secondly does anyone know any thing about them. I think it is a good one and believe it to be bavarian. I just havent researched i

?

Default Bayern Pickelhaube

Hi Guys, What do you make of this one. Firstly is it ok and secondly does anyone know any thing about them. I think it is a good one and believe it to be bavarian. I just havent researched it yet.

Cheers

Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images Bayern Pickelhaube  Bayern Pickelhaube  Bayern Pickelhaube  Bayern Pickelhaube 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bayern Pickelhaube
    P
    Many

Default Re: Bayern Pickelhaube

Hey Andy,
    looks good at first sight.However the front plate had suffert some dammages (tail and crown), the inner -linner as been cut out and it seems that the visor as been re- sewed.
    But it is over 100 years old, all depends of the price.
    Are there any marks in it?
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Hi Stuka. This was a mad E Bay moment. I knew about the liner and the damaged Wappen. I had my suspicions about the bright white stitching on the visor and may darken it down. Im glad it is ok, I just paid £250.00. hope I haven't been too badly burnt!
    Cheers
    Andy

?

I believe the liner is named but not sure of any markings.
    Andy

Andy, your new haube is still a nice piece despite its damage, and IMO you paid a fair price, if it had its liner you would/could of paid over £400 !....its good that someone has restitched the front visor, to save any further damage/loss occuring, just darken with black boot polish, but I would not clean the helmet, leave it as it is, it is also missing one of its spike base split pins, these can be sourced. It is a pattern 1895 Pickelhaube adopted by Bavarian Army in 1896 to coincide with the introduction of a new chinstrap that unlike the Prussian counterpart consisted of only one buckle with a pin with which to adjust the length of the strap, a sliding leather loop allowed the loose section of the strap to be slid into it, at the same time the Bavarian Wappen (Front badge) was reduced in size to fit the new helmet. The Bavarian 1896 chinstrap was worn upto 1914 when the Prussian 1891 pattern two buckle strap was adopted, to bring the Bavarians into line with the rest of the German Army.
    Now Andy all you have to do is find the cockades and a suitable chinstrap (you can fit the Prussian type, as I doubt you will find the "Bavarian" model), try E-Bay France, just type in "casque pointe" they usually have a selection of cockades etc, repro and original.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Cheers Steve! I will get looking. I am still waiting for the last Prussian Haube to arrive. I will post them both together. Any idea where I might get a pin to replace the missing one in the spike plate?
    Cheers
    Andy

Andy, I dont have any spares at the moment or I would gladly send you one, however that said, it may be better to display "as is" as I have found replacements to stand out, as there are variations in dome shape.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

That's brilliant Steve! I had a wee look at E bay France and think I have found what I need. Think you are right about that pin. I will leave it out!
    Cheers
    Andy