Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bergisches Feldartillerie Sabel

Article about: A couple of weeks ago I found a pile of a half-dozen damaged-but-genuine Imperial swords at my favorite regional monthly flea market and selected this one due to its relatively beautiful and

Default Bergisches Feldartillerie Sabel

Bergisches Feldartillerie Sabel

A couple of weeks ago I found a pile of a half-dozen damaged-but-genuine Imperial swords at my favorite regional monthly flea market and selected this one due to its relatively beautiful and well-decorated blade. It's a common pattern and in only fair condition, with the wire grip wraps broken and some strands missing. The scabbard had been coated overall with a flat black tar-like substance, more like shoe polish than paint, underneath which there were many chips and dings in the original enamel. However, the blade is beautifully stamped on one side Bergisches Feldart. Regt. No. 59 and a scene showing a section of guns in action on the other side. After a little research, I found this regiment was formed in 1899 and attached for the duration of the war to the 15th Division. In 1914 this division was in the Fourth Army on the Western Front, but by 1918 it was in the Fifth. Ironically, the only pickelhaube I own is a M.1915 marked inside to I.R. 160, a regiment in the same 1914 division!

Bergisches Feldartillerie SabelBergisches Feldartillerie SabelBergisches Feldartillerie Sabel

Unfortunately there is some "lifting" of the nickel finish in the designs on both sides of the blade which shows up as dark spots.

Bergisches Feldartillerie SabelBergisches Feldartillerie SabelBergisches Feldartillerie Sabel

Although it can barely be seen, underneath the langet is the back-to-back squirrel logo of the Eickhorn Company.

Bergisches Feldartillerie SabelBergisches Feldartillerie Sabel

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bergisches Feldartillerie Sabel
    P
    Many

An interesting example of a private purchase EM artillery saber, it's unfortunate that it has some poor storage damage. Best Regards, Fred

Carl Eickhorn's "back to back" squirrel trademark was used between 1906 and 1921, so that fits nicely with the regiment history.

My real question about this style is when it became the regulation Wehrmacht NCO sword? Also, was this style used in the Weimar period as a kavalrie sabel? (I've seen at least one photo caption suggesting that it was.) I have an Alcoso-made one with an extremely long plain but nickel-plated blade that except for having a mobile scabbard ring is virtually the same design as this one, and assume it's either a Weimar/TR kavalrie sabel, NCO sword, or both.

Quote by James N View Post
    My real question about this style is when it became the regulation Wehrmacht NCO sword? Also, was this style used in the Weimar period as a kavalrie sabel? (I've seen at least one photo caption suggesting that it was.) I have an Alcoso-made one with an extremely long plain but nickel-plated blade that except for having a mobile scabbard ring is virtually the same design as this one, and assume it's either a Weimar/TR kavalrie sabel, NCO sword, or both.
    Here is a military issue TR era Wehrmacht/Heer saber. A recycled and refurbished M1856 n/A Imperial era mounted artillery saber repurposed for the cavalry and about the same size as the M1873 Uhlan saber. Senior (top) grade NCO's having a (government purchase) general purpose model saber, that during the Weimar era and maybe a little later, that for for the cavalry was a different cavalry (Imperial era) pattern saber. The Weimar era Army using the M1856 n/A issued saber that can have a 1920 date added, as well as some ex-Imperial pattern swords for the senior grade NCO's before they went to a general purpose type. In the TR era senior grade NCO's could purchase their own Officer's model sabers and daggers for wear off duty. Junior grade mounted NCO's and EM authored for off duty wear the Mannschaftensäbel type just as they did during the the Imperial and Weimar eras. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bergisches Feldartillerie Sabel  

Correcting a spelling error error - it should have said:

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    Junior grade mounted NCO's and EM authorized for off duty wear the Mannschaftensäbel type just as they did during the the Imperial and Weimar eras.
    Best Regards, Fred

Thank you Fred, for your explanation - it makes more sense that a more robust model like this one would be the enlisted sabel, even if it was by then something of an antique! I suppose the one I saw identified as one in a TR-rea wedding photo was another of the private purchases intended for walking-out and dress purposes, etc. like mine.