Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can anyone i.d. This vintage uniform?

Article about: this painting was found in my grandma's attic, she was from the Ukraine if that helps. thank you.

Default Can anyone i.d. This vintage uniform?

this painting was found in my grandma's attic, she was from the Ukraine if that helps. thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone i.d. This vintage uniform?  

?

Default Re: Can anyone i.d. This vintage uniform?

Hi MM, that`s a great find , it looks in wonderful condition ! Has it been cleaned and reframed ? Is it signed ?

cheers Al

It looks more like a hand coloured photograph than a painting , a popular way to enhance photos at the turn of the last century. Austro-Hungarian uniform, notice the tri-fold ribbon on the decoration, also the distinctive pocket flaps on the chest.

Quote by ALLERBERGER View Post
    Hi MM, that`s a great find , it looks in wonderful condition ! Has it been cleaned and reframed ? Is it signed ?

cheers Al
    thanks for the reply , it has not been cleaned but i do still have the wood frame it came with. here is a picture of the back with some writings in pencil which i can not read. it is not signed on the front. the size is 20x16
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone i.d. This vintage uniform?  

Quote by oradour View Post
    It looks more like a hand coloured photograph than a painting , a popular way to enhance photos at the turn of the last century. Austro-Hungarian uniform, notice the tri-fold ribbon on the decoration, also the distinctive pocket flaps on the chest.
    hello, thanks for the reply it does look like a hand coloured photo but the size is 20x16 , isnt that too big for a photo back then? and it is a thick cardboard [quarter inch thick] hmmmm.

The size and the fact that it is mounted on thick card, makes me think it would of been reproduced from the original period photo, by a professional photographic studio/shop who enlarged & coloured the photo to special order, probably for the mans immediate family....anytime from the 20's through to the 50/60s, i can remember my mother hand colouring B/W photos as late as the mid 60's !.....its a possibility.

can you read the writings on the back?????

Its gobbly gook to me, that'l be a no then.....sorry.

yes me too................ thanks anyway for all your input.

?

Very nice, anyone know what the medal is?
    Of the few that I know, which isn’t many, the only plain yellow ribbon is for the 1905 fire brigade medal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast