Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Can anyone i.d. This vintage uniform?

Article about: this painting was found in my grandma's attic, she was from the Ukraine if that helps. thank you.

Default Re: Can anyone i.d. This vintage uniform?

marilynmonroe,
    i have made further research in order to confirm my earlier answer to your question, the uniform shown IS Austro-Hungarian, the picture IS a hand coloured photograph, unfortunatly this has resulted in a great loss of detail when compared to what clues would of been on the original photograph in order to I.D. the uniform. The man was an NCO, as i feel that the medal shown is a 'Long service medal for NCO's' , its ribbon was in the main yellow, and had a black stripe running down each side and was identical in shape to the cross shown, coupled with the fact he is also wearing two Austo-Hungarian qualification badges, these (late war version) metal cockades were minted in yellow coloured sheet iron and were worn on uppermost right breast. It seems this man used them to hang is lanyarded drill whistle in a secure position (an item only worn by an NCO). In the original photo i am sure he would have had 'stars' on his collar to indicate rank and the medal and badges would of been clear enough to identify, but the colourer has created an interpretation (the detail would of been nigh impossible to reproduce), which as stated before, has emmitted to show detail otherwise shown on original photograph.

?

Quote by marilynmonroe View Post
    can you read the writings on the back?????

Looks to me to be instructions to the artist on the colors to be used on the photo. Blue for the coat, red for the collar, buttons and medals in yellow.

rot = red

jelou=yellow

Well done that man !

?

Quote by oradour View Post
    Well done that man !
    Thank you! Not sure if the artist followed his instructions though!

Thank you all for all of the input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2